Find
Notify
Tools

Any 24 Gauge Shooters?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
And now for something completely different:

I have a J.P. Sauer SxS hammer gun in 24 gauge on the way. Made in 1914 according to a friend who is knowledgeable of such things. It was something that I hardly "needed", but it was relatively inexpensive and, well, very different.

It seems that Fiocchi makes ammunition in this very scarce gauge. Would love to hear comments from anyone who owns or has used a 24 gauge.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Wm.Parkhurst hammer gun.... i shoot the fiochhi, and got a flat of 10 boxes from RST.. great little shotgun... Baretta made some o/u's for the market years back... i want one...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered a case of Fiocchi's from Midway. Midway is rarely the cheapest, but in this instance they were half the price of some of the suppliers. All they offered was #6. I would have preferred #8 for the small quarry like dove that are most often target of small gauge shotguns, but 6's will do.

Remembering to cock the hammers instead of sliding the safety for an incoming bird will hark back to my days as a kid with a single-barrel Savage. Learning to cock two hammers at a time will be an even bigger challenge.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I am sick with envy. What a wonderful gauge. I have used the CBC/Magtech brass shells for making up loads for the Snider and the Martini-Henry, but always thought a shotgun in 24 would be about the nuts.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sometime when I'm up your way I'll bring it along and drop you a note. We can get together for a little "show and tell".

Administrator
posted Hide Post
I had one donkey's years ago.

My granddad gave me one when I was shooting 410.

That is over 60 years now!

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 66923 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Baretta made some o/u's for the market years back... i want one...

Many years ago I ran across a NIB Lanber O/U (Spanish made, I believe) in 24 gauge at a gun show. It had a case of shells with it -- and back then a "case" really was a case with 20 boxes. The price was attractive, but I was afraid I would never find any more shells for it so passed it by. Another one for the long list of "Mistakes I Have Made".

By the way Bill/Oregon, that gun show was in Sweetwater!

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
let me know when y'all want to get together.... im about 100 miles or so from sweetwater....we used to shoot IHMSA silhouette at the airport gun range back in the 80's... ive got 3 other Wm Parkhurst hammer guns we can play with, ... 20, 16 and a 12...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2827 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
I'm a member of that gun club with the airport range, and the rattlesnake roundup and gun show are this weekend. I was going to volunteer for some hours at the show, but both of my brothers will be in town, an unheard-of gathering.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16364 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Use Enough Gun
posted Hide Post
quote:
but both of my brothers will be in town, an unheard-of gathering.

Sounds fun. I only have one brother, but he lives in his own world of 'facts' as he sees them. His alternate world doesn't include me. Unfortunately, his own choice, not mine. I have more than made up for his choice with other 'brothers', however. Big Grin Enjoy your time with them. tu2

one of us
posted Hide Post
Finally got the Sauer 24 gauge in my hands last week. Fired a couple of rounds just to check out the mechanism and all worked perfectly. Neat little gun and in outstanding condition for something 110 years old. Too bad the January mourning dove season just ended here. Will have to wait until September to try it on actual feathers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have 20 boxes of Fiocci ammo if anyone is interested. Pm me.

Posts: 1015 | Location: Brooksville, FL. | Registered: 01 August 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Federal also loads 24 ga.

Formally Bwana1.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brec:
Federal also loads 24 ga.
Any idea where to find them?