Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

shells for 1100?
 Login/Join

posted
i just bought a used 1100 12ga MAGNUM-3".

I was told that it would would be finicky with lighter loads.

Can I shoot 3 dram Eq. stuff through it, or is it the amount of shot that matters- 7/8oz or 1 1/8oz?

I have a couple boxes laying around of winchester super speed that are 3 1/4 dram, but only 7/8oz of shot. Will these work?

Will light loads cycle at all in it?

Thanks

<Russ D>
posted
you're just going to have to try it and see.

one of us
posted Hide Post
jdub,

I have a Remington 11-96 with a 3 inch chamber. It shoots 7/8 ounce loads just fine. However my 11-87 super mag will not eject light loads at all. I have to shoot 1 1/8 ounce loads to get it to function properly.
I would think the 1100 should function flawlessly with the 3 dram loads, because it was originally designed to shoot the 2 3/4 inch shells.
Let us know how it functions for you.
Ford

Posts: 274 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 04 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
jdub,

First off your are just going to have to see what your gun likes to eat. I have never owned an 1100 or an 1187. Several of my friends do own them and have had some minor problems with light loads.

The size and amount of shot will not matter at all. Its the amount of powder or "Dram" if you will that matters. You can load a 7/8 ounce load pretty hot to give ungodful speeds. I can also load a 1 1/2 ounce load down to 3 1/4 dram to slow it down or speed it up. It all matters what the dram of powder is.

Richard W. Gullotto

Posts: 62 | Location: Pratt, KS &quot;Gateway to the High Plains&quot; | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote