Notify
Tools

Picts of my "new" shotty
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted
Folks,

Thought that I'd post some photos of my new shot gun I picked up yesterday.

It is an 1880's Army & Navy 12 Ga with 28†barrels, 2 ¾†chambers, straight English stock, double triggers, proofed for modern loads in Birmingham, England and was totally restored there some years ago. The fluid steel barrels probably replaced original Damascus barrels when it was redone. Wood is gorgeous and it has full, vivid case colors on the receiver. The gun looks as new.

Here's a look at it:

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike_Dettorre
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Sorry I did not make reno but work got in the way...that is a gorgeous looking gun. Congratulations...I am jealous.

Mike

Never under estimate the internet community to use any opportunity to reply to a post with their personal rant about their tangentially related, single occurrence problem.

What I have learned on AR, since 2001:
1. The proper answer to: Where is the best place in town to get a steak dinner? is…You should go to Mel's Diner and get the fried chicken.
2. Big game animals can tell the difference between .015 of an inch in diameter, 15 grains of bullet weight, and 150 fps.
3. There is a difference in the performance of two identical projectiles launched at the same velocity if they came from different cartridges.
4. While a double rifle is the perfect DGR, every 375HH bolt gun needs to be modified to carry at least 5 down.
5. While a floor plate and detachable box magazine both use a mechanical latch, only the floor plate latch is reliable. Disregard the fact that every modern military rifle uses a detachable box magazine.
6. The Remington 700 is unreliable regardless of the fact it is the basis of the USMC M40 sniper rifle for 40+ years with no changes to the receiver or extractor and is the choice of more military and law enforcement sniper units than any other rifle.
7. PF actions are not suitable for a DGR and it is irrelevant that the M1, M14, M16, & AK47 which were designed for hunting men that can shoot back are all PF actions.
8. 95 deg F in Africa is different than 95 deg F in TX or CA and that is why you must worry about ammunition temperature in Africa (even though most safaris take place in winter) but not in TX or in CA.
9. The size of a ding in a gun's finish doesn't matter, what matters is whether it’s a safe ding or not.
10. 1 in a row is a trend, 2 in a row is statistically significant, and 3 in a row is an irrefutable fact.
11. Never buy a WSM or RCM cartridge for a safari rifle or your go to rifle in the USA because if they lose your ammo you can't find replacement ammo but don't worry 280 Rem, 338-06, 35 Whelen, and all Weatherby cartridges abound in Africa and back country stores.
12. A well hit animal can run 75 yds. in the open and suddenly drop with no initial blood trail, but the one I shot from 200 yds. away that ran 10 yds. and disappeared into a thicket and was not found was lost because the bullet penciled thru. I am 100% certain of this even though I have no physical evidence.
13. A 300 Win Mag is a 500 yard elk cartridge but a 308 Win is not a 300 yard elk cartridge even though the same bullet is travelling at the same velocity at those respective distances.

Posts: 10074 | Location: Loving retirement in Boise, ID | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Very nice, I hope it fits you just as great as it looks. Enjoy.

Hog Killer

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
HK,

It's a bit weird, It's got some cast on but it comes up great. It's a bit short in LOP but it needs a new pad and I'll fix it then.

I'll let you all know how it shoots as soon as I can. I need to get some eye surgery on my right eye in March to repair a scratched cornea. Tend to see two images in that eye. So until then any results need to be guardbanded a bit...

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

It is a beautiful gun. If you feel the cast on bothers you, it could be adjusted by a gunsmith but I have no idea how much it would cost to have it converted to cast off for a right handed shooter. Whoever did the restoration work also did a superb upgradation. The British style care hardening with blue accents is just right for this grand gun.

Good hunting!

Mehul Kamdar

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."-- Patrick Henry

Posts: 2717 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, that is one gorgeous gun.

I am presently rebuilding a Belgium S/S built by P. Gosuin, a relative unknown. It is not anywhere near the quality of that one of yours.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Too Beautiful to take to Africa.

Send it to me and I'll keep an eye on it while you are gone. Eeker

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Rusty, I'll keep you in mind if it ever needs a sitter.

Here's a couple more photos.

I have a letter from the University of Glasgow that states that they cold not find records of it in thier books. The serial number indicates that it was built prior to the books that they have, probably earlier than 1882. It only shows Rules of 1925 marks. None of the 1813 - 1904 marks, nor the 1887-1925. No re-proof marks on the water table.

Any more knowledgable than I care to comment? I've also generated a bit of curiosity on the ShotgunWorld forums.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

one of us
posted Hide Post
NIIIICCCEEEE beer

You just need a few drives of old longtails to accompany that fine gun!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve Very nice, Thats a shot gun you take out with your Old 14 year old best friend hunting dog and enjoy a time in the field! My guns I use when training tend to get beat up somehow... bewildered

You need a picture of that gun next to a experiance old 14 year old gray faced German short hair . Big Grin Big Grin thumb

I have a couple sxs's , but they are just old 1940s stevens . one a 28" 20 ga. It swings nice and downs birds with ease. Im looking for a nicer old SXS 28" 20ga. straight maybe a JP Sauer ,Aya ....

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Thanks Guys.

How about with a couple of long tails and my 2 year old, goofy best friend and whitewater rafting buddy, Fido. He's a yellow lab that I've yet to hunt over. His main job seems to be lying on his back in the family room in an uncouth sort of way.

He does have his Class V whitewater badge, though.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I took the locks off and was surprised. They are a back action with coil main springs.

In my queries on shotgun sites I found that William Baker of Birmingham patented the coil spring side lock in 1902. So it't probably not as old as I was told. Still trying to track down more of it's provenance.

I plan on taking her out tomorrow and see how she shoots.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice shooter! Have you busted any caps with it yet??

Tomorrow is our last day of Quail season - I'm taking out my favorite little Webley & Scott (a cheapo comparied to your new beauty!).

Enjoy that gun!

Jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve, that's one nice looking piece and looks like it would handle like a dream. Looking forward to more info on it and let us know how it shoots!!!
Regards,
Terry

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
On my ay out to the range right now. I'll let you all know how she does when I get back.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post
Well, I'm back and kind of sick to my stomach.

I shot a round of trap (quite poorly I might add). Started the second round. Got about 5 shots into the round and looked down to see that a hunk of wood was missing from the top of the stock. In betweeen the top of the left lock and the tang. About two inches long. Additionaly the wood at the back of the tang was cracking and a piece is missing.

I am just sick...

Anyone have any suggestions as to who to send it to?

Maybe Kirk Merrington?

I'll post a photo of the carnage as soon as I can bear to look at it again.

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Steve,

Call this guy...Jon Thomas, Gun Sport Ltd.

(432)-362-8696

Jon is well connected with the folks that do work on guns like yours. He is sending my little Webley up to a guy in colorad that is supposed to be "the man" when it comes to working on English guns.

give Jon a call - might be of help.

sorry about the Shotty!

She can be fixed though- it's a quality piece,

Jeff