New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning Gold 3 1/2"
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am thinking of getting a new Browning Gold 3 1/2" - the one with the "dura-touch" camo finish.

Anyone had any good or bad things to say about them before I part with my money?

... the shooter formerly known as 451...

Posts: 78 | Location: Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TrapperP
posted Hide Post
Buy a Benelli SBE - get the old model if you can find one.
clap clap

Lord, give me patience 'cuz if you give me strength I'll need bail money!!
'TrapperP'

Posts: 3742 | Location: Moving on - Again! | Registered: 25 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeh but I really liked the idea of brownings speed loading system. Just pop a shell in the mag and hey presto like magic its auto loaded in the breech.

I also really like the Dura touch finish - its a much better, grippier feel to most other synthetic stocks I've handled.

Posts: 78 | Location: Hertfordshire, UK | Registered: 13 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a like-new Winchester SX2 Waterfowl (with the Dura-Touch ShadowGrass finsh) the day before Thanksgiving and have used it a lot on Mallards and Canadas. My conclusion is that it's a great gun, although it doesn't have the speed load or mag cutoff. Not a bad deal either for a little over $700.

I think you'll like it.

John

Posts: 175 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks John,

I've been looking for a second hand one but can't find any out there yet. Over here there about £750 new (about $1300) which is why I'm a little hesitant about parting with my cash unless I'm sure it's going to suit me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I looked at a few new SX2 models as well as some Browning Golds, and liked the higher rib on the SX2. Then I ran across the deal on the 2003 model I bought. It was so clean I think it had been fired once or maybe twice - and that was probably at a turkey or deer because it had a green Truglo Fat Bead fiber optic front sight on it. I took it off and haven't replaced it.

The SX2 Waterfowl had a list price of $1215, sold for $976 at Wal-Mart and $1049 at the local private gun store. Then the price came down some with the rumored introduction of the SX3 and the factory offered a $100 rebate good until the end of 2005.

Now that the SX3 is coming out I don't know what will happen the prices on the leftover SX2 guns. I imagine the SX3 camo models will be back up in the $1000 range here.

I haven't used any 3.5" shells and won't as long as I can afford 3" Hevi-Shot.

Good luck with your new gun. Smiler

John

Posts: 175 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote