THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    NEED INFO ON Older High Grade BROWNING Citoris....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

NEED INFO ON Older High Grade BROWNING Citoris....
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
Can someone tell me when Browning stopped HAND Engraving the High Grade Citoris(GrV)..What year? They then went to roll engraving...Thanks!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can tell the difference if you know engraving. I no longer have old Browning catalogs but as I remember they often used both on a gun ! Low grade was rolled , mid grade had both and only the highest cutom shop guns were all hand engraved.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
Can someone tell me when Browning stopped HAND Engraving the High Grade Citoris(GrV)..What year? They then went to roll engraving...Thanks!
The Citori grade 3 and 6 were acid etched. A wax imprinted with a pattern is placed on the receiver, the acid eats away the metal where its imprinted. The gold on the grade 6 is plating, not gold inlayed as on Belguim guns.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
ask your questiong here I found a reference to the Browning Belgium Fabrique National under "Superposed Grade V, standard, Trap or Magnum, flying birds in vignette but relief engraved, relief flora arabesque or vinelike patters background. Grade V, IV, 111 and 11 all have grey-hardened actions (1963)" The Citoi name i thought stared in 1973??Date your gun

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Safari,
You are correct - the first couple of years of graded Citoris were acid etched then hand chased. I do not know when they changed to just etching but about '76-'78 seems about right. Once Miroku went to the grades that we mostly see: the III and V, they were just etched. I don't have the Gun Digests for the 70's...that would help nail it down.

Posts: 238 | Location: NY | Registered: 10 February 2006Reply With Quote