New
Find
Notify
Tools

REMINGTON 870 CANTILEVER
 Login/Join

posted
BONJOUR !

I HAVE A 870 REMINGTON AND I WANT TO BUY A CANTILEVER BARREL FOR IT !

WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT ?

IS IT ACCURATE ? IS IT KICKING HARD ?

MERCI !

Posts: 18 | Location: quebec | Registered: 30 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
the barrel is made to work with a scope. It can be as accurate as the ammo u use. About 4" groups on average at 100 yards. The do kick, get a good recoil pad.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Audeala:

My only doubt would be because the Rem. cantilever barrel is only 21" if memory serves me. Hudson makes 24" slug barrels (that will fit the Rem. 870) and I can tell you from personal experience with both the 870 and the Rem. 1100 using them, that the accuracy is astounding (to 75 yards, it'll shoot like a rifle and certainly will group well enough at 100 yards to kill deer)

Those 3" sabot slugs really kick when you are sighting in a scope from bench rest and it'll probably not be very pleasant. In a hunting situation, of course, you won't notice but they really do make you lose a sight picture. Frankly, I would stick with 2 3/4" shells. The difference in recoil is noticeable (you won't lose the sight picture on firing). I shot deer with both but I honestly can't say if the 3" shell's increased foot pounds of energy is worth it for anything larger than deer like moose in your neck of the woods. Perhaps others with experience using it on moose may have some practical advice about it.

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote