New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Browning BSS-SIDELOCK
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What's the difference (and how do you tell) between a BSs sidelock and a BSS boxlock? I have a BSS 12 gauge languishing in my gun cabinet, and I'm curious. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will not go into the design and structural differences between sidelock and boxlock guns as it would take too much typing, but, suffice it to say that if your gun has a blued action body that ends just behind the triggerguard, it is the BSS boxlock, a solid gun often used to make double rifles from.

If, it has a nickeled action body that extends in a long oval shape about 2-2.5" behind the triggerguard, it is a sidelock. Now, this is the case on BSS-SL originals only as many boxlock guns have "sideplates" to make them look like sidelocks, the cheap Bernardellis from Italy being an example. The latest BSS-SLs are custom guns which have both case-hardened and nickeled action bodies, your choice, they are quite expensive as well.

Sidelock guns are more costly and have greater "snob" value, especially the big name English and Italian ones. Many people also favour their balance and to me, the BSS-SL has far superior balance to a BSS boxlock-ST.SP-28" that I almost bought last year. I also found it equal to a fine English gun I used to own, a point in it's favour, IMO.

If, you are still not sure, p.m. me and I will get back to you this evening.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks KMB, I'll dig it out of the cupboard and have a look. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here is a place that has anything if your looking for a smooth bore
http://www.jaquas.com/gunlist/default.asp
It's an amazing place

Posts: 901 | Location: NW OH | Registered: 19 January 2003Reply With Quote