Find
Notify
Tools

28Gauge Charles Daly o/u
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello,
Noticed some discussion about so called "baby frame" 28 gauge and have located and near to purchasing subject shotgun that is New In The Box and mfg., Italian, in the 70's. Gun is very nice in appearance and seems to balance/handle almost effortlessly and curious how one would determine if it is a true 28gauge/"baby frame" gun or not?? Any and all help would be appreciated.

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The "baby frames" were made by Mirouku in Japan. The most affirmative way to tell a "baby" from a regular (20 gauge) frame is to measure the distance between the firing pin holes. The baby frame will measure about .750" as I recall, while the standard is closer to .875 or so. I think the exact measurments can be found in Fjenstad's Blue Book.

I do not know the dimensions of the Italian CDs, but if it is Italian it is not what is typically referred to as one of the "baby frames".

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Stonecreek,
Very much appreciate your informative response to my question. It is definitely Itilian, blued, engraved frame/metal, vent rib, very nice walnut which almost appears to be English Walnut(in appearance anyway)and overall seems to be what one would call petite and well balanced to swing. Baby frame or not, believe I will go ahead w/ purchase for much lighter and heavier than my Browning Superposed in 12 gauge. At lest couple pounds lighter and probably many pounds less recoil!! Again, thanks

Posts: 1165 | Location: Banks of Kanawha, forks of Beaver Dam and Spring Creek | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can't recall who made the Italian CD's. In the back of my mind it seems as if they were the same or similar to the Weatherby line of Italian-made O/Us. At any rate, although not a "baby frame", the Charles Daly you're looking at sounds like a tempting little gun.

Posts: 13236 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote