New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 682 Gold E
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am getting the skeet bug pretty good and would like a true competition shotgun.I have been told that the 682 is a good entry level shotgun and it can be had with an adjustable comb,sub-gauge tubes,custom case, etc.As much as I would love a Krieghoff,it is beyond my means.Will the 682 with all the bells and whistles suffice?Your opinions are more that welcome.
Thank you,
Jim

Posts: 144 | Location: Texas | Registered: 16 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't have a lot of time to respond at the moment, but Roger on the 682 Beretta for an "entry level" competition shotgun. In fact, you'll find it's a step or two beyond "entry level". Go for it. Learn the game(s) you want to learn, and then step up. In the meantime, don't feel at all bad about shooting a 682. In it's various configurations, it's a very fine competition shotgun. Until you, personally, reach the level where you can shoot the difference between various guns, don't worry about it. Just learn to shoot. Most of the guns out there shoot better than we do........

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
I've shot a 682 Gold E for the past 3 years and have been really happy with it. Before it I wore out a 682 Gold Sporting and it performed quite well also.

For me there is nothing in that price range that balances and points as well. Eventually I'd like to do the K-80 thing also but I sure can't blame any misses or poor performance on the 682.

Best of luck,
Kyler

Posts: 2504 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to you both for your replies.I want a K-80,but probably just need a 682.I am shooting a 686 Sporting shotgun at present that has been custom fitted,30" barrels,etc.I average in the mid 20's.I like the game,but really not to interested in a 400x400 in competition.I shoot for fun,but would like to upgrade and the 682 Gold E seems to offer many options that I don't have on my 686 Sporting.It seems that the only thing to add to the 682 is have the inertia triggers convereted to mechanical.
What is your opinion of splitting the difference and looking at the Beretta DT-10?I would like to get a gun that will carry me as I improve and not have to trade up.How about a preowned K-80,if I can find what I want.I might want to cry once and get it over with!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim:

I don't think you'd be any happier with a DT. It sounds to me like your dilema is an emotional one, not a technical one. And I mean that with friendship and respect. I completely understand.

I currently shoot two Beretta 687 Sporting models, one in 20, the other in 12. Both with 30 inch tubes. The only thing I have done is to equip them with a host of Briley chokes for sporting, skeet and trap. Like you, I shoot for fun; some sporting clays, and a lot of skeet and trap. I have good days and bad days on the range. The bad days are certainly not the fault of the guns.

I also want to someday own a K-80, with 12 and 20 barrels. My problem is that my money goes to yearly hunts in Africa, and any big bore safari rifle that happens to wink in my direction. Until then, I'm perfectly happy with my two 687's.

Sounds like you should save your money and wait until the right K-80 comes along. You'll be happier in the long run.

Best........Tom

114-R10David

Posts: 1749 | Location: Prescott, Az | Registered: 30 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you,Tom.You are probably right,I know that you are right!
I am going to buy a 391 Urika ll for a hunting,knock about gun and use the 686 Sporting for trap and skeet and save for the right K-80.
You make a lot of sense.
Jim

One of Us
Picture of thornell
posted Hide Post
Jim, If you look around the web you will notice that there are a ton of used K-80s out there. I have seen quite a few go really cheap, so if you are not in a big hurry do some searching.

Posts: 705 | Location: MIDDLE TENNESSEE | Registered: 25 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Eland Slayer
posted Hide Post
Jim,

Have you thought about a Browning at all? I have shot many Beretta O/U's and many Browning O/U's. Both companies make extremely high quality shotguns. However, I have found that you can get the same quality gun in a Browning for a better price. I shoot a Browning Citori Feather XS and I have had it for 6 years. It's probably had well over 25,000 rounds through it and the action is still as solid as can be. I can't say that for most of the lower end Berettas. In my opinion, the 682 Gold E is Beretta's equivalent of my Citori, as far as quality goes. However, my Citori cost around $1,800 and the 682 will run in the $2,600-$3,000 range depending on what bells and whistles you want on it. Either gun is great, but if you're pinching pennies, the Browning is a better value IMO. I would either pick up a Citori XS or a 525 Sporting. Once you get into the price range of the Perazzi's and the Krieghoff's, you're just buying fancy wood and engraving, not quality. Whatever you do, invest in a good set of chokes and get the gun custom fitted to you. The custom fitting will make a huge difference in how well you shoot. I shoot sporting clays and consistently shoot in the high 80's and sometimes low 90's. I have won many tournaments where there were dozens of Perazzi's and Krieghoff's on the field. It's not the gun so much as the shooter. In fact, I shot my highest score ever with my Citori (97/100). Hope this helps.

Hunt Report - South Africa 2022

Wade Abadie - Wild Shot Photography
Website | Facebook | Instagram

Posts: 3106 | Location: Hockley, TX | Registered: 01 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Jim,

If like you say you have got the Skeet Bug then don't buy a sporter configuration. Find an out and out skeet gun. the 525 is a great gun that I really like. It is a bit more lively in the hands than the 682. I own both and the 682 is on its way out.

I like Perrazzzi trap guns and apparently the latest skeet guns are awesome. A couple of frends that shoot very seriously have been very impressed with the new Perrazzi's. A good skeet gun will serve you quite well for sporting too so thenyou can look at a dedicated trap gun down the line. (pls excuse the pun!! Wink)

Rgds,FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote