New
Find
Notify
Tools

KITTREDGE DOUBLE hammer gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys, I inherited a trunk load of guns from a relative and one is a marvelous little Kittredge double hammer gun in 12 gauge with 18 1/2 inch barrels. Doesn't appear to have been cut off, looks original. I was wondering if any of you could shed some light on the age and/or history of the name; a friend said it fit the mold of a "western migration" type gun. If you will email me at walt@buckmountainrifleworks.com I can send photos of proofs etc. I'll check back on this thread from time to time to see if any activity. Thanks in advance.

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought perhaps someone more knowledgeable than me might have posted something by now. I "googled" B. Kittredge & Co. It appears to have been a quite prominent gun dealer based in Cincinnati, OH in the second half of the 19th Century. I noticed that a number of antique gun dealers were offering guns carrying that name. (The company doesn't appear to have made firearms on its own) Perhaps if you run the same Google search and contact some of these dealers, they may be able to help you. (As a wild stab in the dark, an 18" shotgun not cut down in the barrel, sounds like a railroad postal clerk's gun. (They worked inside closed and bolted railroad cars. Like I said, just a wild guess. Another is that it was a bartender's "under the bar" gun) Hope it works out for you.

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, and I mean it!
WH

Posts: 324 | Location: VIRGINIA | Registered: 27 January 2007Reply With Quote