THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Factory tubes vs. Aftermarket tubes
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Factory tubes vs. Aftermarket tubes
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just wondering why it is that so many folks buy aftermarket choke tubes? Are the factory one's supplied by Brown-chester,Remington, et al that bad?
Or have we all been sold a bill of goods that the aftermarket one's are somehow better?

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your question is a good one...and as a member of the community that has bought an aftermarket choke I can say that the answer is yes and no, absolutely and maybe. Nothing is wrong (at least from my experience) with the chokes from Remington and Beretta as I've got a few of them. Also, I like my extended Briley choke tubes that I bought.

I think it is a riot that companies will put out a different tube for every .001" increment in constriction (well at least it seems this overdone). While I don't think everyone has to have every available choke at their disposal, it gives the shooter/hunter the ability to pick EXACTLY what they want. That's what consumerism and capitalism is all about.

So bottom line, you don't need to feel like you're at a disadvantage out at the range or in the field if you're "only" using a factory choke tube. Also, you shouldn't feel bad for buying from one of the fine comapnies that produce good aftermarket choke tubes either. Buy smart and look at it this way...it's a lot better than wasting your money on drugs/gambling/hookers/(insert vice here)!

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Bbear, the main reason for the aftermarket chokes seems to be the tighter patterns at longer distances, or fuller,more uniform patterns. This is done by different choke tapers, diam., and lengths. Factory chokes are designed for the best all around use for the majority of shooters. Some factories are making changes, such as Browning, with their Invector plus system, which uses a longer forcing cone, overbored barrel, and different chokes. Trying all the different choke designs can get expensive, time consuming, and lots of fun.
Ed

Posts: 17 | Location: St. Louis, Mo. USA | Registered: 01 January 2002Reply With Quote