Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

looking to buy a new shotgun
 Login/Join

posted
looking to buy a new shotgun and don't know what to buy. i'am am between a couple of guns. i was wanting a gun to duck hunt with and sorta a do all shotgun. i was wanting a auto but my only problem is that i'am left handed and don't want to spend that much money for a right handed shotgun. i can buy a left handed shotgun but they tend to be hard to get rid of if i try to later on. looking at the browning cynergy camo 3.5 mag. what do you think of this gun? will i really miss the third shot? would i be better off just buying a auto. the autos i looked at was the browning maxus, benelli super black eagle II, and the winchester sx3 tell me what you think

One of Us
Picture of CamoManJ
posted Hide Post
I have the Cynergy (3") & love the gun, as it performs & fits well. I also have the SBEII & SX3, both perform flawlessly, even after severe abuse. I consider those 2 the "Glocks of auto shotguns" for their toughness & reliability. If I had to pick a "go-to" of the 3 mentioned, it would definitely be the Benelli SBEII. Bottom line, IMO, buy the gun that fits you best.

"A Lone Hunter is the Best Hunter..."

Posts: 426 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 25 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If waterfowl is on your menu, then I would stay away from a double. In the first place, you don't want friggin steel shot anywhere close to a good, thin-walled double. Neither do you want to absorb the punishing recoil of "goose loads" from such a relatively lightweight double. If you buy a double with barrels thick enough for "non-toxic" shot, then its weight and balance will be substantially compromised. And you still just have two shots.

Look for whatever auto suits you best. It will afford you a third shot, and being subjected to the degradations of mud and water, there will be less value in it to diminish than in an O/U. I shoot left-handed and have never found that it matters which side the ejection port is on. Besides, clearing a jam is faster for a lefty since the port is on your side of the gun.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Maxus. It functions flawlessly. I have one with a 3 1/2" chamber and one I use for Sporting with the 3" chamber. Both are outfitted with synthetic stocks and shims are provided to fit the gun to you even if you are left handed.

I would go with the field model with the 3 1/2" chamber. It will be your "do all" shotgun as it cycles all 12ga. loads from 3/4 oz. to the heavy 3 1/2" goose loads. I have alternated these loads in the magazine to test it and it functions flawlessly.

I have had mine in the rain in a duck blind then taken it to compete.

Browning has hit a home run with this one; simply the result 100 years of Browning autoloader technology!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't consider Remington 11-87s! Personally, I have multiple Rem 1100s that work w/o question over 30+ yrs. My LE agency bought 125 Rem 11-87 LE shotguns and spent hundreds of manhours in cleaning (it took power tools to clean the barrels!) replacing O rings (I never replaced an O ring in my 1100s), they would not feed the ammo Remington claimed + reps lied to us about potential fixes that never worked. To be fair, our guns had 14" barrels, which or Gunsmith said on day 1 "Good Luck on making them shoot". Bottom line is Rem Factory Reps lied to us! Want a better clue-check out the Rem 700 Trigger Controvery show on CNBC aired recently. I hate to support an anti-gun potential issue, but I hate being screwed by some greedy Corp Executive too.

Posts: 37 | Location: SE USA | Registered: 12 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bubbinaor:
Don't consider Remington 11-87s! Personally, I have multiple Rem 1100s that work w/o question over 30+ yrs. My LE agency bought 125 Rem 11-87 LE shotguns and spent hundreds of manhours in cleaning (it took power tools to clean the barrels!) replacing O rings (I never replaced an O ring in my 1100s), they would not feed the ammo Remington claimed + reps lied to us about potential fixes that never worked. To be fair, our guns had 14" barrels, which or Gunsmith said on day 1 "Good Luck on making them shoot". Bottom line is Rem Factory Reps lied to us! Want a better clue-check out the Rem 700 Trigger Controvery show on CNBC aired recently. I hate to support an anti-gun potential issue, but I hate being screwed by some greedy Corp Executive too.

CSNBC reported false findings!

http://www.youtube.com/remingt...search/2/RpXivkcyJ1o

Quit spreading false statements. There is nothing wrong with the 700's. Millions of experienced consumers would have said so long ago!

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an SBE, Citori and 870 supermag in 3.5"and the BPS 3"
If your gonna duck hunt I would stick to a gun capable of 3 shots, manly because of the poor killing power of steel . Depending on the type of waterfowl hunting would dictate whether it should be a 3' or 3.5", if all your gonna do is shoot over decoys than 3" will do what you need, plus would be a doable field guns.
A friend of mine has the BPS in 3.5" and the receiver is so long it makes the gun clumsy compared to a 3"BPS, the 870 is the same size.
regardless of the chamber size.
The Sbe is a nice gun which for the most part will handle any shell that you stick in it but as all semi's will do from time to time is jam, which lead me to buy the Citori hunter in 3.5".
The Citori is no different in size than the std citori but doubles are clumsy in the pits/blinds for reloading and near impossible to do a quick reload compared to a pump or semi.
Being left handed a double or BPS would fit you or anyone of the semi in the proper configuration

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of icemanls2
posted Hide Post
If you're looking at any pump guns the Benelli Super nova is one mean shotgun for the money. Very smooth, 3.5" capable, and very light recoil. I was very impressed and i found mine for a little over 450.00 on sale. My two buddies think it is the best handling pump gun they ever shot. Just a thought. You did say a do it all gun.

Posts: 442 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 14 October 2009Reply With Quote