THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Wingmaster Non Magnum Receiver to Magnum Receiver
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wingmaster Non Magnum Receiver to Magnum Receiver
 Login/Join

Picture of rifleman
posted
Somewhere on a shooting/hunting forum I read about converting a non magnum Rem 870 receiver to a Magnum "capable" receiver by modifying the ejector only.

Supposedly the 2 receivers are structurally the same and capable of withstanding the magnum shells. The only kicker is that the non magnum receiver ejector will not allow ejecting the shells. Is this true? I assume that a Magnum barrel would also be necessary.

Can anybody point me to such a thread or enlighten me on this possible process.

Dave

Posts: 23 | Location: MN | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have done several of these. you are correct that you need a barrel with a three inch chamber if you want to shoot three inch shells.
there may be other ways to complete the conversion but this is how i do it. get the following parts, order them for the magnum remington.
ejector, ejector spring and the two rivets that hold them to the receiver.
cut the peened over heads of the rivets on the receivers interior and remove the spring and ejector. push the remains of the old rivets out from the inside out.
put in the two new rivets and lay the receiver on a hard flat surface. lay in the ejector and peen the first rivet. lay in the spring and peen the second rivet. now all that remains is to polish the rivets on the exterior down to flush and refinish. cold blue may get you there but it normally looks like shit, the receiver should be refinished. hope i didn't forget anything.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of rifleman
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch max! I knew that I wasn't dreaming the idea up. I just can't figure out where I saw that thread.

Actually, I'm not that much of a "Magnum" shell shooter, but it would be nice to have that option. I've got an ancient (approx 1969) Wingmaster (fixed full choke, 2 3/4" chamber, no vent rib) that I got a new barrel for(Remchoked, vent rib, Magnum) off of ebay. Now I can (if I decide to take the plunge), get the most fron the gun again.

Thanks again,
Dave

Posts: 23 | Location: MN | Registered: 05 September 2004Reply With Quote