Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Red Lable O/U
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends...
I�m about to buy a as new ( Gun show piece ) 20 guage Ruger Red Lable shotgun.
I fell in instant and uncurable love the first moment I saw it in the rack at the gun shop [Big Grin]

The fact that it was priced down 40 %, made it an easy desicion to make.

I know there have been som Ruger "bashing" here at AR, but honstly, what are your axperience with the Ruger shotguns ??

I own two Ruger rifles, and I have never had any bad experience with any of them.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
<skeeter>
posted
great gun, strong action and should do everything that its required to do. I was shooting a 20g ruger with 28g tubes and was a joy to use. Have fun [Wink]

<nstoller>
posted
I have a Red-Label 12ga, and it has never given me a problem. My father has a 28ga, and has also never had a problem. I think it is one of the best o/u on the market.

<wader68>
posted
I did not care for the �Red Label� it seemed to have a very loose hinge and it just did not fit me. I went with a Berretta 686 instead. I love this gun. I do have several shooting pals that love their Ruger also though.

Wader

<Red Green>
posted
The Red Label doesn't have a "loose hinge" as many people believe. The Red Label is intentionally equipped with assisted opening, and it's a feature, not a drawback.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have an older 20 ga Red Label (blued receiver, fixed chokes I/C & Modified). It shoots wonderfully. It is actually now my wife's Sporting Clays gun, and she loves it. Occassionally, she even lets me shoot it a little. [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had 3 Red Labels in 20 ga and 12 and sold them all eventually. I think they are well made servicable shotguns but the don't fit me and feel dead in my hands.
I prefer a Browning Citori (even over a Superposed) or a Beretta. I'm getting to like an old Parker VH for quail but that's another story.

Posts: 1275 | Location: Fla | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank�s guys...
Yes I buy it [Big Grin]
The gun fits me as a glove and I made a down payment for it on saturday while waiting for the licence. Yes.....we have to apply for licence and register [Frown]

It`s been like this for decades, and you my like it or not, there�s no way around it.

With a clean record you usually have no problems getting what you want though.

Posts: 1877 | Location: Southern Coast of Norway. | Registered: 02 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good luck with your Red Label. Yes, they are hinged a bit looser than most O/U's, but this is endimic in the design, not a manufacturing flaw. They are also heavier than most of the competition, but this has the advantage of reducing recoil. I like the slimmer receiver compared to the underlug models. It is a durable gun, and while not fancy, is certainly very serviceable.

Posts: 13232 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I once had a sporting clays model and my dad had a 20 gauge for a while..... neither
one would hit where you aimed them........ I hope the one you bought was new because if it won't hit due to a bent barrel, the factory may not replace it. One thought-- don't shoot it at a pattern board.

Posts: 109 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ruger red labels are rugged,strong,reliable,made in America shotguns but they dont point or handle well I wish they did I have a HK Fab Arms and for me it is much the best.

Posts: 610 | Location: MT | Registered: 01 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JLHeard
posted Hide Post
I shot a Red Label 12ga for several years and loved it.

However I must admit that I traded it in when my dad offered me his Belgein Superposed Lightening 20ga. [Big Grin]

Posts: 580 | Location: Mesa, AZ | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Arild:
Friends...
I fell in instant and uncurable love the first moment I saw it in the rack at the gun shop [Big Grin]

I know there have been som Ruger "bashing" here at AR, but honstly, what are your axperience with the Ruger shotguns ??

I own two Ruger rifles, and I have never had any bad experience with any of them.

arild,
i have a red label in 28ga. and i love it.shoots where you are looking too.
i had a browning citori .410 field that i bought new. i was chipping targets or missing altogether. i patterned it and found the center of the pattern was 8" high and right, called browning and they told me send it in. after 3 mos. i finally got it back,there was no explanation of any work performed so i called back and was told it was within brownings specs.the barrels were bent slightly. i expected a new set of barrels,but got excuses instead.thier customer service sucks.
ruger firearms are an excellent value for the money and i've heard nothing but good reports about thier customer service.
dennis

<dennis hepner>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Arild:
Friends...

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got a Ruger Red Label in 20 ga that I picked up brand new while living in Missouri. I got it because a group of us had leased some land to go dove hunting on.
I managed to get out one time last year and was the first one to limit out. I was pleased w/ the way it felt and handled. Not to mention, it seemed to make me 'APPEAR' to be a better shot [Wink] .
I'm now selling it as I've picked up a cute little Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon combo gun (28/20 ga). and because I need to pay for a hunt i've got coming up!

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
<nstoller>
posted
I have a Red Label in 12ga. I love it, it fits me well and I use it for duck and pheasant and it is my goose gun.

gophershooter said "Ruger red labels are rugged,strong,reliable,made in America shotguns but they dont point or handle well"

I think this is not necessarliy the gun but how one mounts the shotgun. I have a Charles Daly o/u and my sight picture is completely different then the Ruger. I have trouble hitting the ground with the CD. Not all shotguns are going to fit everyone. That is why we have a variety to choose from.

I have never had a problem with my Red Label, nor has my brother and father with theirs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a ruger over under 12 guage and love it. It points great and swings better. The balance is perfect. People who say it don't shoot what they are pointing at should look in the mirror before the gun. They are awesome. enjoy it and have fun.
I wouldn't even consider trading it for a browning or a berretta.

Posts: 119 | Location: NJ | Registered: 18 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I fell in love with the Red Label a few years ago. I still think it is one of the best looking shotguns made.

I picked an 11-87 Sporting Clays with a nickel reciever over a used Red Label. I dont like recoil and I shoot a lot so I dont regret it, but the Red Label will always be one of the best looking guns made IMO. And for hunting, I'd probably pick the Red Label instead of my claybreaker.

J.

Posts: 510 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: 27 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Arild,

Welcome to "the club", you have "arrived".

I love my Red Label 12 gauge, I shoot it like it's an extension of my body. No other shotgun has given me this much confidence. Years ago I was shooting my buddy's Red Label 20 and I shot higher skeet scores than the 12 I was using at the time. That's what made my mind up.

It doesn't hurt that I've been a bit of a Ruger nut all my life.....
[Big Grin]

cheers, Mike

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote