New
Find
Notify
Tools

cutting down a barrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If I cut down modified 26 inch barrel to 18 inches will it still be modified choke? it looks the the taper ends at about ten inches.

one of us
posted Hide Post
No it will be cylinder choke. And if you don't measure correctly, you'll end up with an illegal sawed-off shotgun.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An extra barrel is probably cheaper/the same as the work to cut down the barrel - unless the barrel is damaged.
I'd go the new/extra barrel route.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
Please ! If you cut the barrel short contact me and I will pay postage for the piece of cut off barrel ! My E-Mail is listed on my profile .

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Concho42:
Please ! If you cut the barrel short contact me and I will pay postage for the piece of cut off barrel ! My E-Mail is listed on my profile .

What the heck do you do with that?

One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I make tools from the ends of cut off barrels

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
If you do cut the barrel off try for 18 1/2 to 18 3/4 inches. The shorter barrel will be a cylinder bore, no choke. Most chokes are just in the last 1/2 of the barrel.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 316 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make maximum use of the barrel, install choke tubes.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I have a H&R 20 ga single shot that I cut the barrel to 18.5". I used a big pipe cutter to cut it off, took about 2 min. The pipe cutter pushed a small amount of metal in as it cut. I was going to ream it out, but decided to shoot it first. The pattern turned out to be about modified when compared to another shotgun on paper at 20 yds. If you do go this route, make sure it is smooth. You could use a piece of sand paper on a wooden dowel to smooth the inside of the barrel.

If it's not a cheap single shot, then maybe look for another barrel on Gunbroker. They can be fairly cheap sometimes.

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote