New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage 212 slug gun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone here own a Savage 212 slug gun? I had some discount promotions from Cabela's that I cashed in and used to purchase a new 212 last week but I haven't shot it yet. I've been searching for reviews on this model but haven't had much luck finding anything on it. It appears to be a pretty new model that replaced the older model 210. As far as I can tell the only differences are the 212 has a faster twist rate of 1:24 versus the 210 which I think is 1:35; plus the 212 has a detachable box magazine. I've read strong reviews of the 220 which is the 20 gauge model, but can't find anything on this new model 212 with the faster twist. Kinda wishing I had gone with the 20 instead, from what I've read 20 gauge slugs perform better.
Anyway, just wondering if anyone here owns a 212...what slugs have worked best and what kind of groups are you seeing at 100 yards with it, your overall experience with it?

Posts: 192 | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just got one of the older 210's and haven't had a chance to shoot it yet.

I wouldn't put much credence in what several magazines have printed regarding 20 ga. sabot-type slugs being superior to 12's as they are going about their comparisons quite creatively in comparing different weight slugs. If you look at most of the ammo. companies offerings in 12 and 20 gauge, the 12 will usually push the same weight bullet faster than the 20 will just due to more powder capacity. If you compare a lighter 20 ga. slug to a heavier 12 it makes for a great magazine article on how great a 20 is and with less recoil!!!

Posts: 354 | Location: MD | Registered: 11 August 2009Reply With Quote