Find
Notify
Tools

My latest slug results
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi Guys,
I got the chance to shoot a couple boxes of the Winchester supreme platinum tips yesterday.
Just as I expected, they give a sharp little jab for sure. I managed a half inch group with 3 at 60 yards, (kept it short, due to wind) Had a few high, and right that made a group of their own. I contribute this to "uncontrollable recoil".
I put the grip of death on the model 37 pump, but
every time I squeezed the trigger, the front of the gun had a tendancy to want to jerk out of my hand. Once the action starts to cycle, the slide lever trips, and walks back, and there goes my grip. I know the bullet should probably have exited the barrel by then, but who knows.
It seems that these high-performance slugs would be better suited for a bolt action slug gun with a solid 1 piece stock.
Lightfields fly wonderfully out of my shotgun, but I've lost faith in them. I shot a 4 pointer on the run at 60 yards 4 times, broadside, and all 4 slugs were recovered. I did'nt want to find any of them if you know what I mean.
I guess i'm going to try the 3 inch brennekes next.
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Gerry>
posted
TRIGGERHAP2

I had the same experience you described while using sabot slugs from my Rem.870. Two years ago I used sabot slugs from a Rem.11-87 and the experience was a lot different(and the groups were a lot better too!) I agree with you that pumps don't seem to be the way to go with high performance slugs,even 2 3/4".

BTW, I recently tried the 3" sabot slugs and I want to say that I don't remember when I had such unpleasant effects of recoil. I literally felt as if my brain was being shaken inside my head. I own a 375 H&H which is perfectly comfortable for me and have shot Rigby 416 and the 470 N.E., neither of which felt as unpleasant as the 3" 12 gauge sabot slugs. I don't think the 3" sabot slugs are worth it for me. Maybe your experience will be different. I certainly hope so.

one of us
posted Hide Post
There are two separate recoils that occur when you pull the trigger. Each is proportionate to the weight of the projectile and the velocity, ignoring other variables. The first recoil is the propulsion of the bullet in the barrel, the second is for lack of a better word "jet propulsion" the pressure being released from the barrel after the bullet clears the muzzle. This is why a gun will have different point of impact when a different bullet is used and also when a different shooter shoots the same round.
Now I can not prove this but heavy recoil guns that have soft recoil pads, or are not shouldered firmly have a more profound reaction to the primary recoil. Secondary recoil can be controled by muzzle breaks and even eliminated .
I have shot the M37 slugster in my earlier days and have always considered it to be one of the worst recoiling shotguns I have ever shot. I have learned alot about dealing with recoil and my recomendations to you if you must shoot off the bench do it in an almost uoright sitting position. This positioning will minimize the chance that muzzle jump will cause the stock to come off the shoulder and recoil under the arm pit, thrust me I have had the reciever of the M37 hit me in the forehaed because I was hunched over leaning forward when I pulled the trigger. I had an oldtimer prove to me that recoil direction is a results of the recoil finding the weak point. I always thought that a pistol's recoil torque was a results of the rifling, he proved me wrong when he moved the pistol to the other hand and the pistol torqued in the opposite direction. Good Luck,

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
You might want to try some Copper Solids, I think they work better than the Brenneke's. Problem is that nobody makes cheap slugs and it can cost as much as the gun finding a brand that works well in your gun!

Posts: 7763 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Raamw,
I don't have a problem holdingthe shotgun to the shoulder, i've encountered an irresistable force (with certain slugs only) for the front of the gun only to want to jump up to the right a couple inches. I'm a right handed shooter. It seems that I can't get the grip on the "corncob" forearm on the model 37 that I need. Also the forearm seems to "twist" due to the single slide. My buddy's double slide 1300 winchester feels alot more "solid". It has very little movement compared to the Mod. 37.
All I want to do is be able to shoot accurately with a good sabot slug out to 150 yards, and I don't think i'm going to be able to achieve it with a rifled barrel model 37.
Trigger

Posts: 271 | Location: ALBANY,NY,USA | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote