New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chiappa 3 barrel shotgun.....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone shot one? Does the trigger work well? Thoughts?

Butch:

I PMed you about yours, but have not gotten a reply.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one, it seems great but no electors. No issues with the trigger but I don't know how to compare triggers or shoot a lot of shotguns so take the opinion from one not too experienced with shotguns. People think it is cool and always want to shoot it when they see it. I have had no complaints or constructive criticism from any of them and a few were clays shooters. I only have had it a couple months and put a total of 10-12 boxes through it but so far so good.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your insight. My trigger question is because in the past, I've had or been around a couple of Italian shotguns (10 ga) that would double on occasion. That would get your attention.

I think making the trigger selective would vastly increase costs and also probably decrease reliability. Of course, selective is certainly better if it is reliable.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo, I bought one about a year ago, the 28" triple magnum with 3.5" chambers, synthetic and camo dipped. Haven't had it in the duck blind, yet, but have shot several hundred barnyard pigeons with it and a few pheasants. I also patterned it with some turkey loads. Heaviest load was 1.75oz of remington HD #4's, 3.5" shell @ 1300 fps....and quite a few 1.5oz, 3" shells. No problems with doubling or failure to fire. The only thing I had to correct was the buttstock shooting loose. I added a little blue lock-tite before I re-tighten it, and have had no more problems. The recoil pad is a little thin, and that may bother some people? Triggers seem about the same as any other shotgun I shoot (ruger red labels, remington 1100's and 870's). I like the gun alot, and it gets quite the reaction for everyone that sees it! Not as muzzle heavy as you would think....but I find the extra weight up front, helps with pass shooting and follow through. Andy#3

Posts: 108 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 29 January 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I talked with the inventor and designer at a couple of SHOT shows and NRA convention.

He told me several times that he is working on a double trigger system.

I told him it would be great to have one trigger for the two bottom barrels and one for the top barrel.

Then you could use it like a drilling shot in the lower two, slug in the top.

He smiles and says the right thing every time I bring it up to him. But they haven't brought it to market yet.

I see the current system as a disadvantage as one shoot the barrels in one sequence.

I like the gun but the trigger system is the deal killer for me.

Posts: 19396 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, I haven't received mine yet, so this is theoretical in nature.

However, while there is no doubt that some type of selectivity would be preferable, since all barrels have choke tubes, I think for MOST hunting situations, there is just not that big of a problem.

Of course there would be exceptions, but if one needed to use a slug, it would be a matter of a few seconds to load one in the first (bottom right) or both bottom barrels.

Like I said, of course there would be exceptions, but the times that I've ever needed a slug while shotgun hunting total zero. If you're hunting pigs, for example, then you would normally have slugs or buck loaded anyway.

I am not unsympathetic to your quibbles, I just don't see them applying in most situations. Think of how many single barrels have only one choke available and they get by.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think for MOST hunting situations, there is just not that big of a problem.

I think for most hunting a single barreled break open would be just fine also.

The utility of being able to have the trigger set up I mentioned would be a nice addition to their 3 barreled shotgun.

Other than that no need I get by very well with my doubles, pumps and semi autos.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think for most hunting a single barreled break open would be just fine also.

You must shoot a helluva lot better than I or most people do. Wink

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doubles can be a problems, triples are a real pain. dancing

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
The local Academy sports store has them marked 50% + off...I guess they didn't sell as good as they intended.

They had a Camo, long barrel wood, and the short one...I think all were less than $700/ea.

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, which store? I'll check my local (Texarkana) as well.

I just picked mine up. Way cool. Haven't shot it yet. Am thinking about one in 28 ga.

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buglemintoday:
The local Academy sports store has them marked 50% + off...I guess they didn't sell as good as they intended.

They had a Camo, long barrel wood, and the short one...I think all were less than $700/ea.

Thanks to Buglemintoday, I now own 3 Chiappa triple barrels. One I paid the "normal" price of about $1400 with shipping, etc. and two, one camo, and one blued, both 28 inch, both 3 inch I bought at the Tyler, Tx Academy yesterday after doing some phone work based on Buglemintoday's information.

For those who might be interested, this, IMO, is the deal of the year if this gun interests you. Academy is closing out the minimal stock they have left for $850, which is just over 1/2 of MSRP, the camo being more expensive.

I know, as of late last night, the Tyler store had one blue left, and, as of yesterday afternoon, the Odessa Texas store had at least 2. There are probably others left in various Academies around the state. The gun counter at an Academy can check the inventories state wide.

Helluva deal and I owe Buglemintoday a dinner and beer, or, maybe just beer. Big Grin

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
Picture of Buglemintoday
posted Hide Post
I'm glad to have helped out tu2

Love getting a good deal

"Let me start off with two words: Made in America"

Posts: 3319 | Location: Permian Basin | Registered: 16 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
They are good feeling guns, that was a great deal.

Posts: 7769 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They do feel more alive in the hand than one would expect. If the weather will give me a break, I'm going to shoot one.

xxxxxxxxxx