THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Single trigger reliability on doubles ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Single trigger reliability on doubles ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the general reliability of single triggers on side-by-side double guns ?

Have heard of problems.

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I shoot FN-Brownings (2 12 ga. B 25 shotguns + 1 O/U rifle in 9,3x74R) since 35 years and never had a misfire, nor any trouble. All have a single trigger, mechanical for the shotguns and inertia for the rifle.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My guess is any problems you've heard of came from any of the cheaper SxS's with a single trigger. Look at all the high end O/Us that people use for shooting competition clay targets, they all only have 1 trigger, and not many of them have any problems to talk about.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 300H&H
posted Hide Post
Based on my experience, I would not recommend the single select trigger on older LC Smiths.

I have a field grade model and I have yet to find anyone who can fix it so that it reliably reliably fires both barrels.

It lasts for awhile then after 50 shots or so stops working. One gunsmith who does lots of work on doubles says it's a flawed design and won't warrant that the fix will last.

Because I dearly love my LC and had it my whole hunting career I can't bare to get rid of it. I'd like to put double triggers in but don't know anyone who does that work.

So, in a word, most are probably good but I'd steer clear of LC single trigs. I'm sure some have lasted forever but they scare me after all the trouble I've had...

Posts: 672 | Location: St. Paul MN | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of wildfowl
posted Hide Post
I have had no problem when using several Beretta 686 O/Us or Winchester 23 SxS shotguns. They can be a problem on cheaper guns.

Posts: 88 | Location: STL | Registered: 28 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on what system is used!

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every competitive shotgun event on earth is shot with a single trigger. Million of rounds are fired with a single trigger and barrel selector.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The history of single triggers on SxS's is poor, rife with trouble.

Westley Richards was known to have a good one, Woodward too, I think, both non-selective.

I think today's English guns and knock offs like Arrietta, etc, can be had with an acceptable single trigger, or at least you don't hear about single trigger problems from new/newer guns. I have never figured out why one would want a single trigger on a SxS and so have never owned one.

I am sure the modern machine made guns like the Barretta SxS have adopted good modern single triggers.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My collection of Winchester M21's collectively have thousands of rounds thru them. Not one trigger problem. My Winchester M23's have years of service and not one trigger problem. My Beretta SXS's have not had one trigger problem either. No history of any single trigger problem of any kind on my SXS's.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote