New
Find
Notify
Tools

SXS I need some help.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
[Confused] Being new to the double rifle game I thought I wise to purchase a side by side shotgun to help me become more acclimated to double triggers to acclimate myself with SXS barrels, double triggers, tang safety, reloading etc. as well as much less expensive to shoot 2500 rounds than 470 ammo. [Wink]

My problem now is after talking to a friend he recommends getting a Parker, Parker reproduction, Fox, or LC Smith. [Smile] That is great but I'm lost here. The barrels on my rifle will by 24. I have found some Parkers with 26" bbls but just barely in my $2,500.00 limit-very top. However I have found Parker and LcSmiths with 30 and 30+ bbls and thought of having them cut down and Briley chokes put in. I know that ruins collector value but is that a good idea or very dumb?

I would really like to get into a gun for about $1200 but if I have to to twice that I want it to be 26" 3" chambers etc. am I dreaming? Where can I go and who will deal straight with me and not take this lamb to slaughter? With bolt guns I know my way but double anything is all new to me.

[Eek!] [Confused] [Eek!] HELP...Please!

Good Hunting, "Z"

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am partial to the old Browning BSS, and own 2 of them. They have been out of production since 1987 but there are always a few available on the various internet gun sites. Depending on condition they would run $600 up through $1500. They came in 12 and 20 guage with barrel lenghts from 26 to 30". Early models where non selective triggers and they made them selective towards the end of production. They were made by Miroku of japan or browning and have quality comparable to any browning firearm.

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Now I'm really [Roll Eyes] showing my [Big Grin] ignorance [Confused] here but by nonselective do you mead double triggers? If so that would be great I looked at a 20 gauge in a gun shop with SST and was told they never made double triggers in those. Do you know, or is that what you are telling me? Thanks but still confused, "Z"

I guess in my looking around I have not seen them where do I need to look that I am not.

Posts: 352 | Location: Grand Island, NE. USA | Registered: 26 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The original BSS all came with single triggers, the early ones (non selective) would fire the left barrel first then the right, the left barrel would have the least choke like modified in a modified/full barrel configuration. The latter models came with a selector switch which was located at the rear of the trigger guard givong you a choice of which barrel you wanted to fire first.. The BSS also came out with a side lock model in the middle 80's, I am not certain but these may had the option of double triggers but don't quote me. The side lock where considerably more expensive. I hope this cleared it up for you.

Posts: 2296 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zedman I would not worry about having a different bbl length on your "practice" sxs sahotgun. I have double rifles with 24, 26, and 28 inch bbls and it does not seem to make any difference, to me at least, as long as the gun balances right, bbl length does not seem to matter. I think your idea of a "Practice" shotgun is a very good one. Be sure and try some different slugs in your sxs. I have an 18" bbl Stevens mod 311 20 gauge that shoots Brenneke slugs out to 35 yards as good as any double rifle. This is with just a front bead. [Cool]

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSEK
posted Hide Post
For $2,500 you could have many good options. It could be from the older American guns to newer Spanish guns. Whatever you do look for the gun to be sound. Many of the older guns are showing wear. Make sure somebody knowledgeable looks over the gun. Make sure there is an inspection period and that it is sufficient for you to get it looked over. The older guns and even newer ones may have problems. Some older/European guns are not designed for our high pressure loadings.

What is the reason for the need for a 3 inch chamber? To reproduce the recoil of a double rifle? [Smile] If this a a light gun, 3" shell will be horrible.

Being in Nebraska, you might consider going to a Cabela's. They apparently have a good selection of guns and from what I gather some of the people there are pretty sharp.

Regards

Posts: 308 | Location: In transit | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Zedman,

If you aren't hung up on a used gun, take a look at the Beretta Silver Hawk. It's available in 26 & 28" bbls as well as 12 or 20 ga.
They have a model that you should find for under the $2500 mark.

Posts: 203 | Location: Back home in Texas | Registered: 20 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[Big Grin] Got to thinking after all the help I had the least I could do was report back. I got a GREAT deal on a Merkel 47 and have already shot it and an GLAD I did what I did. Not only is the gun awesome but I really believe it will prepare me with the tange safety as well as reacting to which trigger/barrel I want. Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Good Hunting, "Z"