THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    difference in 3-1/4 dr and Max for 1-1/4 load
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

difference in 3-1/4 dr and Max for 1-1/4 load
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In a 16ga what is the velocity difference in 3-1/4drm vs MAXdrm for a 1.25oz load? I have the opportunity to hunt Sandhills over decoys and have both loads and some #1 Buckshot. I know pattern density will be better with the #2brdsht but UMPH will be greater with the #1buck.

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those governed by Fed. Migratory rules? If so you will have to use non-toxic. I kill the occasional Canada with bismuth 4's with no problems. If they are not in range don't shoot at them.
C.G.B.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Texas you can shoot Sandhill cranes with lead as long as you are not hunting any other waterfowl.

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In that case see if you can find some 1-1/4 oz #2 buffered loads. Pattern density usually falls off dramatically with anything larger, you will just have to try and see what works. Also if anyone loads 1-1/8 to t-1/4 of the HD tungsten based shot in 16 ga.(if your gun can handle it) you could give it a try. That stuff usually throws very dense patterns and holds velocity well.
C.G.B.