New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bolt action smoothbores
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi gents, does anyone know of current or recently disconitnued bolt action shotguns with a smoothbore barrel. I see a lot of rifled slug options out there but not many smoothbores

Posts: 3533 | Location: various | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marlin made lots of them western feild made lots them winchester made a 410. At one time lots of them were made.

Posts: 19421 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mossberg, Savage, and Marlin all made low-cost bolt action shotguns. There are thousands of them floating around at gun shows and other sales venues.

Other manufacturers like Browning have made more expensive ones, primarily for deer hunting with slugs -- however, since many jurisdictions prohibit rifled barrels for shotgun slugs I assume that the Browning is available in a smooth bore.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
"... however, since many jurisdictions prohibit rifled barrels for shotgun slugs I assume that the Browning is available in a smooth bore."

As a matter of interest, why would rifled barrels be prohibited? I thought it would make them more efficient.

Posts: 783 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
"... however, since many jurisdictions prohibit rifled barrels for shotgun slugs I assume that the Browning is available in a smooth bore."

As a matter of interest, why would rifled barrels be prohibited? I thought it would make them more efficient.
Since I don't live on one of the states which has a "shotguns only" rule for deer and find that rule archaic, I may not be the best person to answer, but:

Many states (or areas within states) limit deer hunting to shotguns on the theory that shotguns have a much shorter range and pose less hazard to distant people, houses, or livestock. This make some sense if you limit the ammunition to shot (buckshot), and some less sense if you allow, as most do, slugs. In order to allow slugs, but differentiate between a shotgun shooting a single bullet and a rifle shooting a single bullet, the regulations in some jurisdictions prohibit rifled barrels. Therefore, hunters may use slugs, but not when fired from a "rifle". So any shotgun used for deer hunting in these jurisdictions must have a smooth bore.

Does this make sense? Not to me, but then perhaps I don't fully understand the circumstances of jurisdictions with such regulations.

Incidentally, I personally find the prospect of engulfing a big game animal in a cloud of grapeshot unappealing, and equally find the proposition of lobbing a big chunk of lead like a Charlie Hough knuckleball toward a deer in hopes that it will possibly hit its vitals equally lacking in appeal. But again, I'm expressing a personal preference and don't mean to denigrate those who do choose to hunt deer with shotguns.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Karoo
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek
I see the argument but would also be very wary of shot used on big game. I think in the history of firearm hunting more animals have been wounded and lost by shotguns being used beyond their capabilities than much else.
That said, I don't have much knowledge about the effectiveness of slugs and will bow to superior information.

Posts: 783 | Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Karoo:
I think in the history of firearm hunting more animals have been wounded and lost by shotguns being used beyond their capabilities than much else.
I suspect that you are right about that. Just as it behooves rifle hunters to refrain from shooting beyond the range at which they and their rifle are capable, shotgun hunters are likewise obligated to know the limits of their tools.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the strongest is the Savage 210. They are however hard to find but worth looking for. They were available in smooth or rifled barrels. The action is probably the smoothest of the bolt action shotguns.

Don't ask me what happened, when I left Viet Nam, we were winning.

Posts: 444 | Location: Rockport, Texas | Registered: 19 August 2007Reply With Quote