New
Find
Notify
Tools

Choke tubes coming loose
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have to check my tube after every shot to be sure it is not backing out. Does anyone else experience this annoyance? Is there a "correct" amount of torque I need to be applying to my tubes?

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If they are Invector Plus 12ga. they all must be defective...Send them to me...I will keep you safe rotflmo

I just crank on mine until they will not go anymore, never had a problem.

I have seen quite a few people check them each time they get out of the stand at a sporting clays tournament.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Put some gun grease on the threads. That should hold them. Briley makes soom heavy grease for the tubes.

Posts: 73 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 18 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is common, now I found this troubling and did a little research and found a test done on loose tubes and possible damage to the barrel. From the report I found they tested quite a few different configurations and manufacturers and they stated it took about 3 to 4 complete revolutions loose before damage was done to the barrel, now assuming the threads are 1 in 32, that means close to 1/8" out which to me means you gotta be blind not to notice this but nevertheless I keep a close eye on mine.

Another point, you need to be careful when tightening the tubes since the leading edge of the tube is tapered thin and if it gets crimped and becomes in contact with the wad or shot by having a smaller diameter than bore you will bulge the barrel. Take it from me I bought a deflective tube and it destroyed a very rare out of production barrel, thank GOD the company stood behind it and lucky to find an equivalent replacement barrel. I now look down the barrel to insure that the tube is less than bore where it contacts the barrel

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2299 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dab of grease on the leading 5-6 threads solved my problems. Thank you for the info!

Andy

We Band of Bubbas
N.R.A Life Member
TDR Cummins Power All The Way
Certified member of the Whompers Club

Posts: 2973 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 15 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seem to notice extended tubes seem to losen more frequent then flush

Posts: 201 | Location: south louisiana | Registered: 18 July 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's normal.

Just keep tightening them back. If they are flush chokes and you don't have your wrench, just use the case rim on the 12 ga. hull in the slots to firm them up.

If they are the extended models, you know what to do...digitally!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Ulti full tube that came in my 835 gets loose after a few shots but not on each shot.I've added a couple other factory chokes and they stay tight.I think it's because the Ulti sits outside of the barrel while the others screw all the way inside about 1/16" below the end of the barrel.

Posts: 369 | Location: Adirondacks | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
When shooting skeet or sporting clays I make it routine to check my choke tubes after I step off the station. choke tube lube seems to help a lot.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1022 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote