New
Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester Mod. 97
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need to replace the barrel on an old Mod 97 Win. Where is the best place find one? Noone I know has any idea.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

You, of course, are under no obligation whatever to answer my question - but, why, exactly do you want to "replace" the barrel on a Win.97? This old man will be 78 in a few weeks and carried a Win.97 as a 16 year old - and the Win.97 was "old" then! Smiler I remember it ( 28" barrel, straight grip, hammer) as the best ruffed grouse shotgun killer I ever had. I traded it away (plus cash)to get a "modern" shotgun.(What's the use of being young if you can't be foolish?) It was the first of a long series of gun trades in my lifetime that somehow didn't work out! Smiler So you see, I have a good reason for asking. Are you actually using a 97 to the point where you have to replace the barrel? If so, more power to you! Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My reason for replacing the barrel is that the shotgun was my father's. I was sitting in a duck blind about 25 years ago and looked down at the gun resting in my lap and noticed that there was a crack in the barrel just where it enters the receiver. I never used it again. I just want to get it back in shooting condition and hand it dowen to my grandson someday. I even entertained the thought of getting into single action shooting competition someday.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill:

Thanks for answering my question. It really makes me feel good that a Win.97 may be going to be back in action again and that a new generation will be using it. (I'm partial to a hammer, whether on the 97 or a Marlin 336 or a revolver. Guess I belong in the 19th Century)Smiler

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote