THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Shooting the double trigger SXS???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting the double trigger SXS???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Don't laugh (OK, go ahead, but keep it quiet)......I am playing with an older double trigger side by side trying to decide whether to buy it.....I had a double trigger SXS once before and sold it because, in my hands, it was a single shot....I couldn't get my mind to tell my finger to change triggers after the first shot! Big Grin

I have put about a hundred rounds through this one on the skeet field and wobble trap, so far, I've only done the single shot thing 3 times.....then, yesterday, I ran into an older gentleman on the wobble trap and we talked about the gun.....he told me he learned to shoot the double trigger guns with a finger on each trigger at the same time......never heard of that before and was wondering if that was the accepted way to use these guns???

So, fingers on both triggers, or use one finger and switch triggers???.....start with the rear trigger and move to front, or start with front and move to rear......or select barrel (choke) to use for each different shot and select corresponding trigger???

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
uhhh, ever doubled a shotgun? It's no fun, and not too healthy for the gun, either.

Start at the front, move to the rear is the basic setup. Only if you get a long shot for the first shot do you move to the rear trigger without using the first barrel.

It's like pumping a pump action. Shoot a thousand rounds, and you'll never think about the second trigger again...... JMO, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Dutch......never doubled one.....don't want to.....that's why I asked about two fingers..... didn't sound safe to me.....

I'll keep shooting it.....figured I could learn to use double triggers if I kept at it....this gun is really too light and too short to be a good skeet gun, but I figured skeet is good practice for figuring out the double trigger.

When shooting doubles on the skeet field, I've been shooting the rear trigger first (modified barrel) on the going away targets and the front trigger (improved barrel) on those moving towards.....

Posts: 1499 | Location: NE Okla | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Always use one finger. As well as being safer you will find that having both fingers on the triggers can hurt the back finger like hell when you fire the first barrel !

Leeboy

Posts: 26 | Location: Hampshire UK | Registered: 29 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gonhuntin:

I grew up with double triggers. Dutch has it right. After considerable use you will come to that second trigger without any conscious thought. I have been casting back in memory and can suggest some ways of handling that may help. The lead trigger is fired with little more than the ball tip of the finger. With use, your finger will "slip back" unconsciously but surely to the second trigger. (I can think of no other phrase that describes it. It is not any conscious movement) I did a lot of shooting at ruffed grouse or "partridge". The shots were in heavy cover and always very rapid. Two triggers never handicapped me so far as I ever saw. Right now, you may be conscious of that second trigger. With use you will always be concentrated on slipping the finger in front of the first trigger for the lead off shot. You won't be conscious of finger movement after that. I believe -and the doctors can correct me but I think the phrase is "conditioned reflex". It won't be a matter of "telling your mind". (I'm wondering also if the LOP may be wrong for you with that shotgun. You might check that out)

Posts: 619 | Location: The Empire State | Registered: 14 April 2006Reply With Quote