New
Find
Notify
Tools

Super X - 1's Not Ejecting
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am having all sorts of problems with my two Super X - 1's not completely ejecting the fired case - this is when shooting cheap 1 oz. and 7/8 oz. dove loads. A gunsmith has cleaned and gone over each gun, but they still fail to eject. He thinks that the light loads are not producing enough gas to complete the ejection process and has suggested opening the gas ports very slightly. Is this my only option? I sometimes use these guns for ducks and I am afraid heavy duck loads may pound the systim too much with the gas ports opened. What do you Super X - 1 shooters think? GuyG

one of us
posted Hide Post
You didn't mention what type of gas gun you are shooting. You could indeed be experiencing a problem with the lighter loads. While some guns may function fine, others of the same model may have some trouble with the lighter loads.

You could buy a second barrel for your gun to function as your "target barrel". If it doesn't function with the light payload shells then your gunsmith could open up the gas ports a bit. Then you would still have your original barrel to switch to when you decide to use hunting loads.

There are other options, but it would help to know a bit more about the gun.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The guns are old Win. Super X-1's. They look like most gas guns - Rem. 1100's, etc. GuyG

one of us
posted Hide Post
Oh, forgive me...I was thinking you were saying that you were shooting Super X ammo! I guess sometimes there is no excuse for ignorance.

Posts: 391 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Sooner>
posted
Try switching brands of ammo. Winchesters are the lightest of the factory ammo, Remingtons are fairly stout. If your gun will shoot Win's it will probably shoot anything, some gas guns wont cycle them unless you open up the orifice holes. I assume that when your 'smith cleaned the gun, he cleaned the carbon buildup from the gas orifices in the bbl. If not, have him check it. There could be another reason but I'd have to know more about the gun (bbl length, chamber size).

Let us know, I'll just bet we can fix 'er up!

Sooner

<Fisher>
posted
GuyG, I to have a Super X, Model 1, Winchester. I have shot everything from deer slugs to target loads at the skeet range with no problems. The suggestion of picking up a second barrel to try out and then open the ports if needed is a good one. If you find out that opening the ports doesn't hurt anything even using the heavier loads you can always sell the other barrel.

One other thing. I know you had a gunsmith go over the gun. You might however check the "O" ring to make sure that it has not cracked or maybe lost its flexibility. I've had to replace mine before.

[ 10-24-2002, 04:29: Message edited by: Fisher ]