Find
Notify
Tools

Mod 11 & A5 barrels
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted
Can someone tell me truly whether the A5 barrels such as the Hastings after-market ones be adapted to the old Remington Model 11? Thanks.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The barrel extension on the A5 is slightly different than the M11- what kind of a barrel did you need?

www.duanesgun.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I'm trying to find a vent-ribbed barrel for my Model 11 if such a thing exists. Choke and finish aren't too important as long as its straight; its a project gun.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate, as far as I know, that animal does not exist. The reason being the way the barrel actually recoils into the reciever. There no room for the rib. Browning didn't add the rib until they changed it to a gas operated system vs. a recoil operated system.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Kingfisher
Both Rem and Browning offered solid ribs on the 11 and A5.
The rib has an low section that goes into the reciever then steps up to the higher rib section.
Simmons still installs vent ribs on them.

Tigertate
I don't have any A5's to compare the Rem 11 too. It has been at least 25 years since I fitted the last barrel on one of these. Just keep looking around there are a lot of Rem 11 barrels floating , most times the cost is a bit more than I want to spend.

Four months ago picked up an three shot Sportsman in 12 ga. 28" full in about 80% finish for $210.00. I watched this one sit for 9 months before he lowered his price.
There are a lot of these guns out there for an reasonable price. It might be better to pick up an gun rather than a barrel.

Jim Wisner

Posts: 1441 | Location: Chehalis, Washington | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I stand corrected. Good to know. Thanks!

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
You are right about the economics, Jim. The Model 11 barrels seem to go for more than the complete guns. I was curious to try one of Hastings wad-lock barrels and I think they quit manufacturing for the Model 11; only the A-5. I was also hoping to slick up and old family Model 11 that I hunt with occaisionaly that has an out-of-production 1950s choke with only one tube.

On another note, the CZ 550 safeties you sold me are beatiful pieces of work. I am proud to have them.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
(As posted above to Jim Wisner) Duane I was wondering about the wad-lock barrel from Hastings and whether it was close enough for a pud-nocker like me to fit it up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call poly choke and have a rib made for the barrel you have. I will check my barrel bucket this AM and see if the M11 barrel has a solid rib or if that is the barrel off the Savage version.

www.duanesguns.com

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If you have one let me know. Finish is not a huge issue; the whole gun has been redone once and I will probably do it right again myself.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I took a close look at all three barrels, the Savage and the Remington are the closest, but no cigar- the extensions are different on all three barrels, and the magazine "ring" is positioned different on the Browning 3" barrel. The barrel I have with a rib is the Browning, sorry I couldn't help.

www.duanesguns.com

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Thank you for checking.