THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    iS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO LEAD SHOT IN THE .410.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iS THERE AN ALTERNATIVE TO LEAD SHOT IN THE .410.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I gave my sister an older Savage/Stevens 311 S/S .410 about 20 years ago. The area where she lives has been designated (no lead shot) due to being a condor area. I have been unable to locate an alternative to lead shot that is factory loaded for the .410. I am currently under the opinion that steel shot would score the barrel even if I could find some steel. Anybody have any suggestions other than reloading.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Federal loads .410s with steel shot that are available here in Utah at WalMart. We have a wildlife refuge nearby that requires non-toxic shot for all small game, not just waterfowl. I would contact Savage and ask if it is safe to use in the 311. Hope this helps.

one of us
posted Hide Post
At $3.20/shell you might consider getting her a better shotgun for hunting but if you want .410 that will work....

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-ENV4109S

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think it would be more practical to move the old 311 .410 to somewhere that it can be used with conventional shot in it and replace it in the condor area with a larger gauge that is more practical for steel shot.

Posts: 13239 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What's odd about all this environmental stuff is that steel shot is "OK"...but then needs a plastic wad as against lead that uses a fibre wad.

In theory, hope it helps, if you've roll turn over cartridges (or even crimp) you could undo or cut off the crimp, stuff them yourself with weighed payload of tin or bismuth (that you've bought in a bag in bulk) and then re-roll crimp.

Posts: 6815 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gatogordo:
At $3.20/shell you might consider getting her a better shotgun for hunting but if you want .410 that will work....

http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-ENV4109S

$80 per box? OUCH!

Posts: 11996 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 26 January 2006Reply With Quote