Find
Notify
Tools

Sources for old SXS stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hello,

I disassembled my new [old] Baker for a good degunking, and was surprised with a big chunk of loose wood coming out along with the action -- bummer! It is black with oil, looking almost petrified. You can crumble it with your fingers; I think there is little hope of salvaging it with epoxy.

So, any suggestions for a new stock? The old one, unfortunately, will never be able to serve as a template. I have had experience fitting poorly inlet rifle stocks, and really don't want to go through that with the complex inletting of a sidelock -- nor do I want to pay $500 to stock a $300 gun.

Thanks for your input.

Todd

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Todd, you might try to place an ad in Gun List, or try gunparts.com I don't know if Boyds has a pattern for the Baker. I did a Baker few years ago and did it from a blank. Your $500 is way off btw. Most competent stockmakers are 5 times that and then some. I think your best recourse is to find a used one and that will be very difficult. Wish you the best.

I was just thinking, I have a friend who bought most of the shotgun patterns at the Reinhardt Fajen Auction a few years ago. I will check and see if he has one.

[ 09-25-2002, 09:46: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote