Find
Notify
Tools

8 gauge hulls
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
Are 8 gauge industrial hulls good for anything? Can they be reloaded and shot out of a regular 8 gauge?
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dean;

Yes, 8 gauge industrial cases can be reloaded and used in regular 8 gauge shotguns, BUT prior to reloading them, you need to swage the reenforced base down so they will fit in a normal chamber.

I made a simple ring die, lubed them and pressed them into and out of the die with an arbor press.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
can you do a simple drawning of the die. I know a guy who has an 8 gauge. He shoots a double 10 gauge once and a while at the cowboy shoots and is getting the 8 gauge ready now.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dean;

I'm a bit computer illiterate but I'll see what I can do. That means when the wife gets home I'll ask her how to post a picture/drawing.

Posts: 231 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: 08 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dean;

Sorry, I can't figure out how to post a picture or drawing. I'll do my best to describe the die. It's a 1" long piece of 2 1/2" diameter cold roll, the 2 1/2" dimension is not critical. I lathe bored a tapered hole through it. The #1 side is .947" diameter and the #2 side is .927", IE .020" taper per inch. The hole is polished and the edges chamfered. You may need to make yours with slightly different dimensions to deal with the expanded head diameter of your cases and the chamber they need to fit. I lube a case and press it into the #1 side to the rim, then press it out with a rod and press it into the #2 side to the rim. It's really that simple. Hope this helps.

Regards

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
thanks sir I should be able to take it from there.
Dean