New
Find
Notify
Tools

O/U questions .....
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Im in the market for a O/U shotgun. Ive been looking at the CZ 27 and the verona series mostly because they are in my price range. Idealy it would be used for upland bird hunting and sporting clays. I guess my question is would you reccomend a 12ga or 20 ga? Im not new to shotgunning by any means, im just new to sporting clays and O/U. Ive been using a 20ga for birds my whole life, but i also have a 12ga that is a true workhorse. Also which firearms can you reccomend? Thanks in advance.

Posts: 356 | Location: Lansing, MI | Registered: 11 July 2000Reply With Quote
<holtz>
posted
Scott,

It's hard to give you a pat answer as many of your concerns are subjective rather than objective.

I have no experience with either of the guns you mentioned, but, as we both know, neither are very popular. You must ask yourself - WHY. If they were a great gun at a good price they would be selling like hot cakes. For instance, what are the service options? Will a local gunsmith even touch it if repairs are needed? Etc.

If you're on a budget I would advise that a good used name brand gun (Browning or Beretta) will prove a much better buy than a new economy or off-brand gun. Bs and Bs in excellent condition can be had anywhere for under $1000.

I would also suggest you not buy any gun unless you have shot it. I mean the same make and model. Spend time at the local clay target range and be nice to people. They will normally be happy to let you shoot a round with their gun. You just may find that gun that looked so great is in fact a bloody nightmare. First and foremost, it must fit you. If not, it's just an expensive piece of junk.

The 12 will do anything a 20 will do, and more. But the 20, for many of us, is ideal for upland game. It's light, handy, cheaper to shoot, and a joy to carry. If you can't bring down most all upland game with a 20, it's your shooting, not the gun.

The 12 will have a slight edge when shoot clays, but only if you are shooting for money, fame and glory.

Steve

<rws2>
posted
Scott,
Sporting Clays is a 12ga. game.Yes you can shoot it with any guage but 12ga. is king.
I shoot with 2 friends who are AA shooters,I watched one of them shoot 2 perfect rounds of 100 on tuff courses.They make it look easy with any guage but when the moneys on the line they opt for the 12ga.
I ask the questions your asking to them couple years ago the answers were 12ga. and Browning.At the time I couldn't afford a Browning but they told me to save or buy a used gun.I saved up and bought a Browning 425 Sporting Clays.If you frequent the ranges you can find some real deals on really nice used guns.