New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rem 870 Trouble
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have always been a loyal fan of Remington shotguns, I have a Wingmaster 870 I bought back in 1972 and it has been the most reliable, smoothest feeding shotgun I have ever seen.

Well elected to purchase 12ga. Rem 870 Express shotguns for my kids this Christmas, my daughter got a standard wood stock Express and my son got the Super Mag 3½" with the black stock.

The standard wood shotgun works fine so far, but the 3½" Super Mag has a problem ejecting shells after firing. At first, it wouldn't eject at all but we discovered it would eject only if the muzzle was pointed upward. It will not eject if the muzzle is pointed level or downward. I'm starting them off using light game loads.

I have since heard of this happening with other Super Mag owners in the area, but I dont know what if anything they did to resolve it.

My question is, is this a common problem with these guns? And if it is.. Is it something a local gunsmith can fix, or is it a send back to the factory deal?

Thanks

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
Sorry I can't attest to that being a common problem in the Super Mag specifically but I know a lot of guns in general don't like to extract/eject the cheaper steel head shells. Not just the 870 (my 682 and K-80 don't like them either), but I have seen several new 870's give trouble with them.

Try "better" shells like Winchester AA or Remington STS (both with true brass case heads) and I'll bet the problem goes away.

Best of luck,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2506 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it extracting the shells all the way back. I would take a look at the ejector a defective one might have been in stalled ect.

Posts: 19425 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p dog shooter:
Is it extracting the shells all the way back. I would take a look at the ejector a defective one might have been in stalled ect.

That is worth a try.. Thanks.
Monday morning I will call Remington and see what they have to say.

Thanks

Why do they call it common sense, when it is so uncommon??

Posts: 277 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 10 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Concho42
posted Hide Post
I fixed one ! extractor grove was not fitting the extractor !did not allow the extractor to cover the rim on shell !

Don't take the chip !

Posts: 578 | Location: PA | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote