New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brazillian doubles?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
I came across a 12 ga 2 3/4" double with a K-mart store stamp, made by Boili (sp?) and made in brazil on the bottom of the frame. For $200, it is awfully tempting, but I know sometimes things are too good to be true. I can live with the 2 3/4" chambers, but would like to shoot steel out of it.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Gerry>
posted
The name on your shotgun might be Boito. If so,it's a product of Amantino & Cia Ltda, founded by a man named Boito. It has been in business for some years and apparently making doubles since about 1962. There's a website -www.eramantino.com.br (Not much info but may be a start)

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Gerry, it's likely a Boito.

For years I used a Boito 12 gauge "coachgun" for bunnies and grouse. It had 20" barrels, 3" chambers, and it was choked I/C and M. It was a real "alley clearer" if you know what I mean [Big Grin]

I finally dealt it on a reloader when I bought my Red Label O/U, but the gun served me well and never malfunctioned. It was a mule shooting 3" magnums though.... [Frown]

Nothing fancy to look at, but dirt cheap and killed a lot of birds in tight cover.....

Posts: 199 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 15 April 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I checked back again, and it is a Boito. The barrel wasn't labled as to what choke it has, though both barrels are .710" at the muzzle. The shop is going to borrow a choke gauge to verify the choke. I'd like to run steel shot through it if possible. I suppose I could open up the chokes, but can't really see putting any $ into it, when I can buy a new 3 or 3 1/2" 12 ga pump for not much more then $300.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For 200 dollars you can shoot steel in and so what after hundreds of rounds if the chokes open up just use it as a upland gun.

Posts: 19360 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for a moderate priced double , take a gander at a Baikyal . They look to be quite a gun for the money ,,,,,,,

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote