New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 1100 or...?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm interested in purchasing a new shotgun for trap and skeet. The Remington 1100 is what I have borrowed and shot in the past, and seems like the obvious choice. I'm not opposed to two barrels, either side by side or over/under.

I'd like to stay below $1,500, and I would prefer to buy new. I intend to stay with a 12 gauge. What else should I look at, in addition to the 1100?

One of Us
Picture of MeMe
posted Hide Post
Are you talking about a field grade or trap grade 1100? I saw a few Sporting models on GunBrokers for around $1500 but might be used.

I got back into trap shooting 2 1/2 years ago and was bit by the bug.

I shot the same 1100 field grade for 44 years that was given to me for my birthday when I was 12.

I just up-graded to a Browning 725 (way more than $1500) because I just could not get past 23/25. 2nd box with the 725 and I hit 23/25.

If I were you, I would try out many different guns to see what best fits your needs both monetarily and how well you shoot it. Talk to shooters and weigh the pluses and minuses.

Not an expert, just going from experience.

Posts: 361 | Location: California | Registered: 14 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The basics of trap and skeet for even semi-serious shooters require two heights of comb and usually longer barrels for trap. Again, if you're semi-serious that means you're either going to have to have an adjustable stock and two barrels although you could probably get by with one barrel and change chokes or at least two guns, one for each sport.

Changing the height of the stock every time you went back and forth would be a real pain in the butt, not to mention that most adjustable stocks are quite expensive unless you can find one on a used gun.

Since you seem to be on a budget, I would suggest that you consider buying a used 870 trap (I know you want to buy new) and possibly a new or good condition used 1100 for skeet and field work. I'm not saying this is the absolute best combination but it will get you adequately equipped for both types of shotgun sports for less than your total budget. Be aware that 870 trap guns have had barrels switched, etc over the years and try to get an original combination, but they are like the energizer bunny, they will keep on shooting. OTOH, we used to call 1100s, "550s" on the trap range because they broke half the time. However this is the result of a LOT of shooting. They are fine pointing guns and easy to maintain for normal usage.

If you shoot a while, you will find that you will almost certainly be more attracted to one sport or the other. Most trap shooters either NEVER shoot skeet or they might use it to warm up for bird hunting once or twice a year. The same is basically true for skeet shooters as regards trap. I mention this since if you do as I suggest you can fairly easily sell which ever gun doesn't fit your choice. Personally, if I was on a budget, I'd buy both these guns used (esp the 870 which are mostly bulletproof) and find a like new 1100 with 28 or 30 inch barrels with tubes for skeet. With some shopping and asking around the gun club range(s), you should easily get into both guns in very good condition for less than $1200.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you really have not shot a lot of clay games, the 1100 is a good place to start until you either decide what gun you really want or you find that your equipment is really limiting you. That will be years down the road.

However...

The 1100 is a bit of a maintenance hog. It also has a tendency to break parts. Its easy and relatively cheap to fix things that go wrong, however.

If you think you might also want to hunt with the gun, I would consider getting the new Remington versamax. it clears up a lot of the issues with the 1100 but also is more expensive than the 1100, but is also more reliable with the various types of ammo. I would go with the 2.75 and 3" shell version rather than the 3.5" one unless you plan on shooting a lot of pass shooting waterfowl- its cheaper and lighter to carry. Pretty much all current production shotguns have interchangeable choke tubes which will allow you to use the same gun for both games without too much trouble.

The Benelli guns are probably barely in your range, but they are recoil operated guns. Absolutely reliable, but they do kick a bit more than a gas gun.

A pump is OK for what you want, but it will have no recoil amelioration.

Beretta, Winchester, Mossberg, et al all make entry level shotguns that will work as well.

I would avoid double barreled guns in your price range (new) as anything that is quality will generally cost more than that.

Trap is usually shot with a specialized gun (high comb, high rib, usually single barreled) at the higher levels. There is also doubles trap, which is a bit different as well.

Skeet is usually shot with a very open bored short fast handling over under double at the higher levels as well. Many skeet shooters end up getting a matched set or insert barrel tubes as there are 12, 20, 28, and .410 matches.

In essence, what you need to realize is that there are lots of very specialized guns out there that can give someone a minimal edge on their shooting- but until you have done so for a while you really don't need them. Pretty much anything will work for a long time until you are able to outshoot your equipment.

Posts: 10666 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might want to consider a Beretta A300 or a used 390 or 391 Beretta.

CO School of Trades 1976, Gunsmithing

Posts: 126 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 18 September 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
The 1100 Special Trap is a nice gun and a new one will cost around $1000. Like any gas operated gun they need to be lubricated and cleaned but cleaning is very easy and doesn't require extensive takedown. An advantage to a gas gun is the reduction in felt recoil. Believe me, 300-400 rounds per day for a 5-day meet can beat you up. The 1100 will make that much more bearable.

The Benelli autos are very common, especially as loaner and rental guns. That's because they are low maintenance and virtually indestructible. But I don't like the way they swing nor the felt recoil. Nevertheless, some people swear by them.

My preference is for the 1100 any day.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These days, you're probably better off with an older used 870 or 1100 than a bramd new one. Since the Freedom Group acquired Remington, quality has noticeably declined. I have a good friend who is a simple, basic gunsmith. He mainly works on hunting guns, and swapping pistol sights. 90% of the 870s he works on are newer ones. The extractor on the 870 is really the only component on that gun that is difficult to replace (it's riveted in) and every single one he's replaced is on a gun 2 years old or less.

870s are almost bulletproof, and they are so common, it's easy to pick up parts like barrels and stocks fairly easily if you need to make a change. I shot a lot of trap with an 870, and there is zero downside to that gun for singles or handicap.

I personally don't like 1100s, but they were the dominant auto for a long, long time...and for good reason. They are superbly balanced. I echo what everyone else has said about maintenance.

I would strongly suggest looking at a beretta 300 or 3901. You can very possibly buy 2, and still be in your price range. The berettas also have a lot of aftermarket accessories, like magazine cap weights and common stocks to be able to tweak the gun to your needs. Plus, they slow recoil a lot, and busting lots of clays, you want to soften it as much as possible to delay the inevitable onset of the horrible disease "flinchitis"

Skeet, trap and sporting clays are all three very different games. One gun can do all three, but one gun can not be optimal for more than one of them.

If I am working, hunting season is too far away to imagine. If I am getting things ready for hunting season, opening day is perilously close.

Posts: 111 | Location: Llano Estacado | Registered: 12 January 2016Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of serious shooters back in the 1970's-2000 era owned three 1100's. One to shoot, a spare in the motorhome, and one back at Remington being rebuilt. That's not a knock, just reality shooting 1500-2000 birds a couple times a month.

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 912 that I bought new (for skeet) and don't shoot, that I can sell you. It comes with chokes. I own 2 O/U tube sets with 26" barrels that I shoot way more than the semiauto's. Two reasons:
1. the semi autos are too long for me.
2. I reload and it is a real pain picking up the empties!
There are new semiautos, like the 912, that might work for you until you figure out what you really want.
I also have a S&W Super Skeet, but that has a fixed choke.
For skeet you should be able to pick up a used Browning Citori or a Rottweil model 72. I have seen these for sale at Cabela's occasionally. I have no personal experience with the Rottweil, but one of my tubed sets is a Citori.
Another possibility might be the Renato Gamba Edinburgh Match. Mine is in skeet, but I believe they also made a trap gun.
Just my 2 cents.
Peter

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't seen any mention of the fact that trap guns pattern differently than skeet guns. Trap guns throw their pattern higher than POI as the clay target is rising. Skeet guns do not pattern as high. So it is not just using a tighter choke. As someone mentioned, shoot both games regularly and you should find your favorite!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10510 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's true. It's a result of comb height and the angle of the sighting plain.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a new gun, but if you want a gas auto that will last a long long time find a Winchester SX1.
Sort of like the old Mod 12's. Not a stamped part in the gun. All machined parts. Rumor was it that Winchester could not sell them profitable at the period they were made because it cost them about as much to make them as a Citori and most folks would not pay for an auto when they could buy a O/U for the same $$.
People that know semi auto SX1's recognize them.
You can get a good one for probably under a $1000.00 and I would venture to say there is not a better quality auto made to date.
It has O rings and is heavy "all steel-no alloy" (OK for clay birds) but will last forever if you take care of it.
It was not designed to shoot steel shot, so I would not take it waterfowl hunting without chrome lining the barrel. They were all fixed choke guns but Briley's could solve that issue if you desired. Only chambered for 2 3/4" shells.
I do not think they have made the gun in 35 years. There are quite a few for sale.
There is beautiful trap model on Guns International asking $1095.00. Quite a few more listed as well. Another new in the box.

EZ

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I greatly appreciate the shared advice. My main purpose for the gun is to shoot enough clays to get better at waterfowl shooting. I do prefer trap to skeet, so a gun that can handle trap pretty decently and skeet in a pinch is probably ideal. I waterfowl hunt with a pump action, and as I said my experience with trap & skeet has been with a borrowed 1100.

I'll research the suggestions and go look at them. If anyone else has any more thoughts, I welcome them as well.

One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Trap (30"-34" barrel, high comb and shooting plain), occasional skeet (25"-26" barrel, low comb and shooting plain), practicing for birds. I suggest a sporting clays gun for that. Staying with a recommendation in your price range of the Remington 1100, I suggest you take also look at the versatile 28" barreled 1100 12ga Sporting before you make up your mind.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I really like the 1100. Mine is older, mostly because the stocks used to have a lower comb on the older ones. I prefer it to other auto-loaders. It shoots softer than any of the inertia guns. The other auto-loader I like is the Beretta 390 now 391's. Soft shooting gas guns, also. Stock's adjustable in the 391's, too.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Spent some time in the shop today looking at a number of the recommended models, as well as others. The gun that really stood out was the Benelli Ultralight 12 gauge with a 26" barrel. At $1,499 it is just within my price range and it handled exceptionally well for me. Anything I should be aware of concerning this particular model and its viability for shooting trap?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The main thing is the weight and construction materials. Look on line for reviews of the gun and you will see (I believe) that the gun is not constructed for the kind of usage that a competition trap or skeet shooter will put it too. The light weight may also be a detriment on the 4th round of skeet or trap! For American trap and skeet, the gun is already mounted.
Just my 2 cents. I looked at them too, for skeet, but decided against it.
Peter.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Peter,

I did just that - spent a while this evening looking at reviews, etc on it. Most do agree that it is too light for much shooting, and is better suited to upland hunting. Still, when I brought it to bear the sight picture was perfect and it just handled better than any other shotgun I've had in my hands.

The shop did not have much of a selection of Benellis. I will look for a shop that has a few more, as well as an 1100 before I make a decision.

one of us
posted Hide Post
That gun and that barrel length is 100% the opposite of what you're looking for for "shooting trap." It likely "handled well" for you because it is light. "Light", meaning weight is NOT your friend for good repetitive gun work of any kind. Forget "light", think heavy or heavier.

Forget reading on line reviews until you get in a range of reasonable guns for your selected sport, you need to carefully re-read and absorb the posts above and then go to trap ranges/skeet ranges/sporting clays or 5 stand ranges and observe what they are shooting and ask and listen to what the better shooters say. Most shooters are happy to direct a new shooter in the right direction and then you'll have to decide which gun to choose.

As I said in my initial posts, ONE gun without multiple barrels and and adjustable stock will not be a good choice for at least one of the sports and a compromise is probably not a good choice for either.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of swaincreek
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cutiger:
You might want to consider a Beretta A300 or a used 390 or 391 Beretta.

I highly recommend the Beretta 391 , they can take a lot of rounds through them with no problems.
Also, try to find a 30 inch barrel if possible.

To re-enforce an earlier comment, the heavier the gun the better. Chris Batha, well know skeet instructor says his custom gun weighs close to 10 pounds.

Posts: 160 | Location: Lakeland Fl . | Registered: 16 July 2010Reply With Quote