Find
Notify
Tools

Shotgun for a young lady
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted
Folks, I'll shortly be in the market for a shotgun for my eldest daughter, who is now 14. I suspect she's about as tall as she's going to get, thus now is a good time to get her set up. She's been shooting a small Mossberg pump 20. I'd like to stick with a 20 for now, and am considering an autoloader. Would like like your thoughts on one suited for a young lady with an LOP of about 12 to 12.5 inches. I wouldn't pass on a good pump gun, but don't really want a double at this point. I'd like to keep the cost less than about $500. Thanks for any input.

Posts: 3293 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grenadier
posted Hide Post
Remington 1100 LT 20. Buy one second-hand to stay within your budget.

Posts: 10900 | Location: North of the Columbia | Registered: 28 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1100 LT20 is your best bet.

Fine as starter gun with the magazine plugged to hold no shells.
This yields a low recoil light weight single shot.
I have one that has been just the ticket for 6 youngsters.
My five year old grandson is now in the waiting line, to use the gun I taught his dad and uncle with.
I bought mine years ago with a spare full size but stock.
the youth stock was cut and a Kick Eaze pad added to a 13" pull.

"Suppose you were an idiot and suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself."
Mark Twain

Posts: 663 | Location: Texas | Registered: 04 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
I sold a youth 11-87 camo with choke tubes last week for $575... I see regular 1100's that can be cut to size for $450 or less...I don't want or own a LT model...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2831 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Remington 1100 in 20 is super soft shooting, too. Plus they're beautiful guns.

Posts: 1725 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
browning makes a micro that is a pretty slick gun.
you can get a longer stock set for it for like 50$ extra.

there ain't no reason not to get a 12 ga. and just shoot 7/8oz. or 1oz loads. [24gram and 28 gram loads]
they have the same amount of shot as a 20ga. and cost about 1/2 the price.[generally at a lower velocity too reducing recoil even further]

the extra little bit of weight of the 12 ga gun will take the recoil better too.

Posts: 4982 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM sent.