THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Install Briley chokes in higher-grade Spanish double?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Install Briley chokes in higher-grade Spanish double?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted
I just picked up an Ugartechea Model 119, which is one of their higher-grade guns. The gun is choked modified and full, and I prefer more open chokes. The cost to install Briley chokes is not significantly more expensive than opening up the fixed chokes. Would you open the chokes or install removable choke, and why?

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I wanted to sell the gun for value, I would do nothing to it.

If I wanted it to be choked IC/M and nothing else, boring out the choke makes some sense, but I would think that I would want to choke it based on the use at the time, so choke tubes make more sense to me.

If you get the tubes that are fully in the barrel, it will look the same as a unmodified gun.

I would decide if the gun was a shooter for me, and if so put in choke tubes. If it was a range toy or an investment, I would leave it alone. In neither case would I go for opening up fixed choke boring.

Posts: 10597 | Location: Minnesota USA | Registered: 15 June 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
The gun is one that I will likely keep for a good long time.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3813 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd probably open them instead of installing choke tubes. I only changed chokes when shooting sporting clays for score. And I'm afraid I don't remove the chokes to clean under them often enough and might someday fund rust. I do have a Merkel 16 gauge with briley thin wall chokes and they're virtually invisible.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 17 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have couple Merkel Model 201E's, 12 gauge and 28 gauge and it was chocked tighter than I wanted and had Briley open up to SK bores. Giving thought to having screw in choke tubes done for the 12 gauge, but just hate to modify it. Either approach, Briley does very professional work.

Posts: 1050 | Location: S.Charleston, WV | Registered: 18 June 2012Reply With Quote