Notify
Tools

Help Wanted
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 1875SharpsShooter
posted
Wanted

Information leading to the identification of a very nice SXS double shotgun.

A gent stopped by yesterday with a shotgun for me to identify and possibly appraise. That in itself is odd as anyone that knows me knows I don't fool with scatter-guns. Single shot rifles yes, shotguns no. At any rate, I want to try to help him out.

It is 16ga hammer-less, double trigger. The trigger guard has a protruding horn on the front of the bow apparently for resting the trigger finger while awaiting a shot.

Barrels are 30 inches, choke undetermined and appear to be pre-nitro steel, but not Damascus. Bores are lightly pitted suggesting Black Powder cartridge usage or corrosive priming

Forearm is a splinter with lever latch. The buttstock is well shaped and has a 1/2” of right hand cast off, cheek-piece on the left side and the left side comb has been scalloped to fit some one with a heavy face. The scallop was done prior to stock finish, suggesting it was fitted to the gentleman who originally purchased it.

It has sling swivels fore and aft that reminding me of a few drillings I have encountered.

The metal work is very nice, engraving is not over done, but the detail is superb. The hand cut screws are engraved on both ends I should mention it does have a tang safety.

The barrel markings;

On the rib - HERM REINJHARDT WEBNIGERODE

Under the barrel on the flat there is a crown with a slash under it and the letter N. Ont the same surface is written “2g SCH.P”

Looking at the bottom of the receiver directly in front of the trigger guard One sees “DRT 52061 (the 1 may actually be a 7)

Last item of note is that the barrels, lock and forend hanger are all marked with the number 91, suggesting a fitted set perhaps.

Any information would be greatly appreciated.

SS

Whatdaya mean...........there's other calibers besides 45-70

Posts: 194 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 28 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try the German Gun Collectors Association.
They have a web site and have been helpful to me in the past.
If you could send them some photos it would help.

David

one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably Austrian, not familiar with that maker's name.

Without seeing the engraving, I'd GUESS $500 to $750 in condition as described.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
WEBNIGERODE is a citry in Germany, so one would assume that rifle is made in Germany.

No idea at all about the value though.

www.accuratereloading.com
Instagram : ganyana2000

Posts: 67049 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1875SharpsShooter:
Under the barrel on the flat there is a crown with a slash under it and the letter N. Ont the same surface is written “2g SCH.P”
SS

This sounds like German proof marks. I believe the N stands for "Normalbeschuss" (standard proof firing). A V for example would mean "Verstärkter Beschuss" (proof firing for stronger loads). The "2g SCH.P" means two grams or app.31 grains of black powder.

Posts: 164 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote