THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Recheckering a Parker, Should I??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recheckering a Parker, Should I??
 Login/Join

posted
I'm retired, but I do checkering. A very good friend brings me this old Parker Doub. 12, Damascus Barrels, 'n not bad shape. Number 56951 D Fancy wood, that can be finished very easy. Ive done a few, but the checkering is "almost not there" I could recut it Original,you can see where it was very acuratly, Question is, Should I? Would that ruin the value? Oh it's not for sale, Not for a few years any way.The metal will clean up nice too. any comment or "opinion" is welcome and ask for.. Grandpa Dolan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I wouldn't.
It would be a waste. You can't shoot the gun anyways.

It would like waxing a car that doesn't have an engine in it.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess I would use it the way it is. With SR7625 one can load 1oz loads in the 4900 5000 LUP range. I belive it was Ross Seyfeid that wrote a very good article on shooting damascus shotguns using SR7625

Posts: 19417 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There is a lot of folks that assume if it is damascus, it can not be shot and will blow up in your hands. You certainly can not use modern high pressure loads but given a good inspection, and proper ammo, they can certainly be used. The vintagers shoot yearly has numerous damascus guns in their shooting games.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why can't you load some black powder or Pyrodex or Triple Seven and blast away?! The smoke cloud would be enough for me to try.

To a Republican every day is 4th of July.

To a Democrat every day is April 15th!!

Posts: 86 | Location: California | Registered: 05 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most damascus shotguns were designed to be safe with black powder.

This was for the most part 100 years ago.

Through all of the corrosion and in essence 'breakdown' of these guns over the last 100 years, they have gotten even weaker.

Despite what other people have done in the past with firing these old guns, I highly recommend you stay away from loading them, even if you shoot super reduced loads.

I for one like my hands exactly where they are.
You know, attached to my wrists?

-Spencer

-Spencer

posted Hide Post
Thanks to all for your replies, and to you Spenser for your concern and admonishments. I'm sure my good friend with the Damascus will not shoot it, for the simple reason (he has other Parkers)..He has decided to have me "clean up the checkering" I did it on one of this other Parkers. NOW can any body tell us when it was ma. Again, its number 56951 D...Joe

one of us
posted Hide Post
1889, according to the search facility at the Parker Collectors' website. The D would be a grade letter.

Looks like they have info on record, if he wants to get a research letter done.

Cheers,
Doug

Posts: 337 | Location: Gippsland, Victoria, Australia | Registered: 02 May 2004Reply With Quote