THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Shooting slugs out of modified choke barrel?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting slugs out of modified choke barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm quite knowledgeable about rifles and pistols but when it comes to shotguns I'm fairly ignorant, so here's the scoop. I picked up a Stoger coach gun in 12ga with 20 inch barrels and put a red dot sight on it and picatinny rail under the barrels for flash light. Purpose for this rifle is primarily self defense but it shoots the 00 buck very well and I tried a Federal load 1 oz slug through it and it shoots very well so it would be a great hog gun also. It does leave a fair amount of lead in the barrels with the rifled slugs. My questions to you?

1. Will the slugs affect/stress the choke much? Is it OK to shoot rifled slugs out of mod choke barrels?

2. Would sabot slugs shoot as well in the smooth bore barrels and would they be less stressful on the barrels?

Thanks

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If a brand new time will get through the barrel you should be OK.
Just remember these barrels are "regulated" to a certain point. In other words, they will shoot an X if you will, shouldn't make much difference w/close in hog hunting.

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Rifled slugs should do no harm....Sabots might be bad, plastic cup but some of the projectiles are hard and I think the diameter is already larger than rifled slugs?

Best,
Mark

Posts: 14 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: 20 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Read the label, I know Remington markets a slug for smooth bores and another for rifled...

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Foster slugs will shoot fine out of your modified choke. ( the less expensive slugs ) I don't think you would show any improvement by going to sabot slugs. Sabots shoot best out of rifled barrels. I would prefer the Brennecke slugs for hunting as they penetrate better. Penetration can be lacking at close range with the standard foster type slugs as they are made from soft lead and expand quite readily.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cut open a standard "remchester" rifled slug and take a look at the soft lead thimble inside.
The only solid "bridge" of lead is across the smaller tapered "nose" of the slug. The thin lead "skirt" will swage down readily through a full choke.

Rifled slugs don't penetrate well as they tend to flatten out or fragment on deer size game.

Posts: 106 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 10 May 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
If it has choke tubes might try a cylinder.

http://www.choketube.com/
Stoeger Luger (O/U): Interchanges with Carlson's American Arms style threads
Stoeger Uplander (Side by Side): Interchanges with Carlson's Winchester style threads