Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 1100 barrel question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Everyone,

My father in-law asked me to help him buy a new 26" barrel for his Remington 1100 shotgun. This shotgun is to be used for trap. He wants the barrel to be able to take chokes. His current barrel is 30" long and has some type of internal choke that can not be removed (build into the barrel?).

Can you guys give me some pointers on which barrel I should buy? Any suggestions on good places to buy it would also help.

Cabela's has two 26" barrels. A ventrib and steel shot. Do these barrels take chokes? What is the difference between the two?

I'm not much of a shotgunner so I need your help. Thanks,

Posts: 26 | Location: Louisville, KY USA | Registered: 03 August 2002Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
The "ventrib" barrels are intended for lead shot, and have a ventilated rib on the sighting plane of the barrel. You definately want a ventilated rib for Trap shooting, as it disperses the heat waves around the sighting plane. I don't own any steel shot barrels, so I don't know much about them.
For shooting Trap, I think you want a 28" or 30" barrel, since you really don't have to swing the gun much to come on target. You want a longer sighting plane, and the extra length and weight make the gun a more stable shooting platform and absorb recoil better. Most of the serious Trap shooters were using 30" or 32" barrels back when I was shooting Trap regularly.
As for chokes, you can do just fine with a Modified choke from the 16-yard line, if you're shooting singles. If you're shooting doubles, or moving back into the handicap positions, you may want an Improved Modified or Full choke.
I shot a lot of Trap with a Remington 1100 field grade gun, with a 28" Modified choke barrel. It was just fine for most shooting, even doubles. When I moved back past the 21-yard line, though, the choke just wasn't tight enough to reach out there and break birds consistantly.
I see in my Cabela catalog they list the Remington barrel for about $175. That seems like a pretty good price, and it comes with 3 chokes (Improved Cylinder, Modified, and Full). I recommend the 28" barrel, as it's long enough for Trap, and short enough for Skeet and Sporting Clays.
Regards, George.