New
Find
Notify
Tools

870 ?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a older late 70's remmington 870 12 ga 23/4" if i put on a barrel chambered for 3 or 31/2 in will this action handle it or is there a heavier action for these barrels

Posts: 102 | Location: southeast b.c. | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Won't work. Remington makes a special longer action for longer shells. Fortunately, there are lots of them for sale on the used market.

Posts: 142 | Location: southwest Missouri | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the receivers for 2 3/4 inch shells and 3 inch shells are the same size. the ejector is the different part. the shorter shells work in the longer chambered gun.

Posts: 978 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John Barsness says if you want to shoot 3" shells in your 2 3/4" chamber go right ahead as it won't hurt a thing. I'm not interested in shooting anything larger than a 20 gauge skeet load these days, so have no use of a 3" shell in anything, but I suspect that Barsness is right.

Posts: 13238 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
Stonecreek ??? Goes against everything I've ever been taught. Not a 3" shell in a 2 3/4" chamber.

Maybe you mean a 2 3/4" receiver can handle a 3" shell. But the barrel has to be a 3" chamber.

As far as the original question. To my knowledge the 870 receiver is the same but the ejector clip needs to be moved backed to handle the longer empty shell. CB

Posts: 599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Colorado Bob
posted Hide Post
For 3 1/2" shells----no way.

Posts: 599 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 09 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
The 3" and 3 1/2" barrels will fit on the 2 3/4 " gun, and it will shoot the 2 3/4 "" shells just fine. People with older guns do this all the time. BIG issue is remembering to NOT run the large shells through the gun. I have read many places that the 3" shells will not cause too many problems, but will not eject anyway, so why even try.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2584 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to change the ejector. That is the only difference in the receiver. The process requires re-blueing of the rerceiver unless you are very carefull.

www.danesguns.com

Posts: 869 | Location: N Dakota | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
time to buy a new wingmaster but keep the old 870 as it is a well made gun

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote