THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    winchester model 24 sxs 16ga info wanted *pic*
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

winchester model 24 sxs 16ga info wanted *pic*
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of weagle
posted
I found a winchester model 24 in a pawn shop today for a good price so I brought it home with me. I've always thought they looked pretty clunky, but this 16 ga just seemed to grow on me while I was handling it and I think I may have a new favorite. Barrels are 28" and marked full and mod. It's in pretty good shape except the butt plate is missing and the bottom of the butt stock has a sliver missing. Ser # is 38,1xx which is early 1941 according to one web site.

Tell me what you know about these guns and any good or bad points you know. Also if there are any parts prone to break I should keep a lookout for.

Thanks,
Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
That is a great gauge in the model 24. Lighter than other 16 gauges in other makers.

If it is pretty tight, it will outlast you.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Posts: 2589 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If it is pretty tight, it will outlast you.

hikerbum has it right I believe...

I've owned 2-3 of these through the years and never had any problems. I have a friend who has owned one for many, many years . He is by far the best wing shot I know and that's his only shotgun.

Sendero300>>>===TerryP

Posts: 489 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of weagle
posted Hide Post
Thanks, I pulled the butt stock so I can repair it and the action is very clean. The bores are mirror bright and it locks up tight as a new one. The full choke is not particularly useful for the type of hunting I do, so if I can hit pretty well with it I may have he chokes opened to ic and light modified.

Weagle

Posts: 737 | Location: atlanta ga | Registered: 11 August 2002Reply With Quote