New
Find
Notify
Tools

Browning A5 Magnum 12ga
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I saw at a gunshop today a Browning A5 Magnum, 26" special steel barrel, 12 ga. 3" chamber, full choke, vent rib, made in Belgum, imported through Morgan, Utah. Asking price is $549. Is this a good deal? Can I shoot steel shot? I was looking at it and a Berreta A391 Ulrika for $829. Which is the better deal?

Thanks

Posts: 82 | Location: Gardnerville, Nevada | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
None of the Belgian-made A-5s are suitable for steel shot. You may get away with small shot but this is a magnum, which hints at large pellets. The steel simply is too soft and you run the risk of ringing the barrel and separating the vent rib. As good as A-5s are, the magnum models are very heavy and generally will not cycle lighter loads. It's not a versatile gun. The Beretta, on the other hand, will handle about anything you put through it. It's the dominant auto in competitive circles worldwide.

Posts: 111 | Location: Illinois | Registered: 16 December 2000Reply With Quote
<mod 12>
posted
You can buy the Belg. gun and buy a Jap bbl. to shoot steel. That's what I did. Check ebay for the bbl as they are list all the time.

<Doug S>
posted
Buy the gun that fits you the best, none of them are any good if they don't fit. For me, it's an A-5, but the Berretta is a fine gun and very reliable.

Doug