New
Find
Notify
Tools

Improving pattern density
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am looking at ways to improve my pattern density of my Remington 870 Supermag for turkey hunting. I currently use the extra-full choke supplied by Remington. I am considering buying another aftermarket choke for turkey hunting and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions. Hastings, Comp-n-Choke, etc?

Also, is there anything else I can have done to my shotgun to improve its pattern density?

Thanks.

Justin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Try different shotshells first. You might be suprised.

Posts: 498 | Location: San Antonio , Texas USA | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd also suggest trying different shells before spending what can amount to serious $$ on another choke tube.

I assume you want to shoot 3 1/2" shells in your 870? For turkey? I've got a 3 1/2" 870, two different Remington X-full chokes, a Remington full, and an HS Undetaker and have patterned all 4 chokes with Winchester, Federal and Remington premium 3 1/2" turkey loads, in both the 2 1/4 oz. and 2 oz. high velocity loadings in #4, 5, & 6 shot sizes. Yep, that's a lot of pounding. But I've played with the various combinations over the 5 years I've had this shotgun.

I wanted to shoot 3 1/2" #4's for the pellet count and retained energy at 40-45 yards. I'm not sure if I gained anything energy-wise until the 2 oz. high velocity loads came out a couple years ago. I also found I got the best patterns with the 2 oz. 3 1/2" load and that my barrel/choke combination likes Winchester's best. My gun seemed not to like any of the #5 loads, which was weird and probably isn't at all applicable to your gun/choke/barrel.

So I'd recommend deciding what size shot you prefer and then trying different brands in the 2 oz. high velocity load. And if that doesn't work, try a different shot size. And if that doesn't work try 3" shells or buy (or better yet borrow) another choke tube or two. Some combination will pattern well. Shoot, I've got a box of 3" 4's I'm going to pattern this year just for S&G's.

Good luck. -WSJ

Posts: 300 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 03 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
And for a 3rd time.

Try different loads. Also, see what happens with each load when you back off the choke a bit, say to a full. Extra-Full Turkey Choke sounds good, but may actually cause more flyers depending on the load.

Pete

one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin,
If it's any comfort to you, my Son and I are both using 20 gauges(and mine has 2 3/4" chambers) for spring turkey. Copper plated 6's.
Stepchild

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use buffered shot ,it will give you a better pattern. In any case you have to try different ammo and pick the one that works the best.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
The shells u buy will make the biggest difference. Try the Remington Hevi-shot. Or any premium loads with a buffer/plastic agent mixed in with the hard copper plated shot load. There are also times when u can have to much choke in a gun. The only way to tell, is to pattern the shotgun.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. I have tried several different loads and brands and the Winchester HV seem to perform the best. I was just looking for ways to improve the pattern density and eliminate fliers. There are some holes in my patterns and some fliers. I didn't know if there was some little gunsmithing tricks that I could have done to my shotgun. Also looking for some people with first-hand experiences with different turkey chokes.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Justin B, I have tried a lot of combinations, with Winchester High velocity and the new Hevi Shot. Get the Hevi Shot #6 1-7/8ths oz. and a Hastings .675" choke. I get a consistent 170 pellets in a 10" circle.

Posts: 370 | Location: Memphis, TN. U.S.A. | Registered: 24 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know you mean about saving money but if there is a specific load you just have to shoot in your shotgun rhino chokes in florida for 85 bucks will do the work for you and then sell you the choke for 85 bucks just it is kind of high but if you want performance with out the hassle of buying every turkey load to get killer performance this could be an option just a thought