New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bottom eject shotguns
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Who, besides Browning, is currently making bottom eject, i.e. ambidextrous, shotguns?

Posts: 747 | Location: Nevada, USA | Registered: 22 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi Arts,
Ithaca still makes bottom ejection in their Model 37, you can still find used ones in great shape at gunshows, I bought one 2 years ago with 28 inch modified with vent rib for $175.00. Only problem is that it will only chamber 2&3/4 inch shells, some of the newer ones will chamber 3 inch but be careful. I didn't mind because I just wanted something light weight for rabbit/grouse hunting and wouldn't use 3 inch anyway. Good luck. Joe

Posts: 185 | Location: ohio | Registered: 13 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The Ithaca 37 ejects from the bottom.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is that it? Brownings and Ithacas? It's not for me, I'm trying to satisfy a customer who is a lefty, and he wants new, not used. Thanks for your input.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Arts:

Since you obviously are a pro, I would only want to ask why the customer wants a bottom ejection at all? I did a lot of trap shooting once and had to use a "shell catcher" to spare the shooter next to me from being hit by an ejected empty (from a Rem. 11-87 or 1100)but why else? I used an Ithaca Model 37 (they called it the "Featherlite" back in those days when dinosaurs walked the earth)on ruffed grouse and always found it distracting to have the empty strike my thigh (which was thrust out as the bird flushed) As I say, I don't offer advice to pros and simply am curious as to why it is so important to the customer.

Posts: 649 | Location: NY | Registered: 15 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gerald 416

if you think an empty shell hitting you in the leg is distracting, try leaving both eyes open while shooting and get some burnt/burning powder in your right(for a lefty) eye. That is where the empty shell and exhust come out, into your eyeball. If it comes out the bottom you don't have to look at that empty whizzing out, out start clawing out your eyeball when you get some stinging crud out of the action.

not a pro either, but I'm a left handed shooter, and have to work very hard to keep both eyes open, because of burnt powder in the eyes.

I think the new Ithaca's are model 87's, and I think they still make em.

low_tech

Posts: 484 | Location: SLC, UT | Registered: 01 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
New Ithaca models are called the 37 again. the 87's were a short lived model under prior ownership. The old 37's, the 87's and the new 37's are all the same gun. very little changed since originally introduced. If it aint broke, dont fix it is what they live by. Great gun. The 37's have been 3" chambers for quite some time. used ones with 3" are around in the $200 to $250 range.

Posts: 2584 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It's not that he wants a bottom eject, per se, but he is a lefty and there are damn few options available on true lefthand guns, so I was looking at bottom ejects as an alternative.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Have you considered a left handed Remington 870? I just picked up a used one but my dealer advised that he can get new ones for about $299.
Jason

Posts: 575 | Location: VA | Registered: 20 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning BPS. It's safety is on the tang, as opposed to the trigger guard, which is one thing I would want if I was a left handed shooter. I am not sure where the safety is on the Ithaca 37. I also shoot an over-under, and it is nice to have the safety in the same place when switching guns...

Posts: 453 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hikerbum
posted Hide Post
The safety on the Ithaca 37 can be easily changed to a left handed shooter

Posts: 2584 | Location: Western New York | Registered: 30 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
johnnyreb,
The safety on an Ithaca is just behind the trigger. The safety can be reversed, or you could just get used to it backwards. My little brother is a lefty, and we shared two Ithaca 37's in 12 gauge, one with a 24" barrel, one with a 28". Since we'd swap back and forth, Sam just got used to having the safety backwards, as he was the ONLY lefty in the family. Just my $0.02.

Rick

Posts: 159 | Location: Watkins Glen, NY, USA | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
I'm a left handed shooter who has put many a round thru a right handed Rem 870 in the 35 years I've owned it.I've never had the first problem with blowback or powder residue in the eyes.
A lefty would be nice , but I've got 3 different barrels for this one and use them all.
I understand left handed slug barrels and 30'' full choke barrels are hard to find also.
Just my personal experience.
If your customer absolutely has to have a left handed gun, I'd go with the Remington or an older used Ithaca.

Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote