Find
Notify
Tools

w j jeffery ???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of tonto
posted
I picked up a sxs 12g wj jeffery with hammers I was planning on making it into a double rifle. Before I cut her are they worth anything the action is tight but finish is about 60%

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You've almost certainly got one of the thousands of "hardware" chain guns made around the turn of the century, 20th, for mass consumption. If it was valuable it would say W.J. Jeffery and Sons London, England, if my memory serves.

I don't know much about the process of converting one to a double rifle, but IMO you are starting with a pretty weak action. I'd be careful.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
It does say w j jeferry - victoria st london england and is english proofed if that matters. It also has a crossbolt action.
Dean

Posts: 1057 | Location: adirondacks,NY ,USA | Registered: 30 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tonto:

Hmmmmm, I don't know what you paid, but it sounds like you might have the real McCoy. They are very nice shotguns and unless they are completely ragged out, start at about $1500 and go up rapidly. I urge you to get a knowledgeable opinion before proceeding. Do not do anything but the mildest of cleanings,etc.

I'd forget the idea of making it into a double rifle myself.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tonto
posted Hide Post
the finish is worn an a small bit of ebony was put in the forestock. but the action is nice and tight the bores are real nice and the locks feel crisp.

Ill have to check closer. Ive only cleaned it with a tooth brush and gun oil. But someone else has already worked over the finish.

Thanks Dean