Find
Notify
Tools

16 gage O/U barrels
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys,

I don't know much about O/U shotguns, but do know what I like and dislike.

I'd like a 16 gage O/U but the brands I'd
prefer don't make them. Can a 20 gage O/U
be made into a 16? Doesn't make sense to try and convert a 12?

Any thoughts or comments?

Regards,

Don

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

What makes of O/Us do you like? For hunting guns I like Brownings, and they made a 16 not too long ago, not too sure if they're still in production, but you should be able to find a used one anyway. As to converting a 20 to a 16, I'm betting that would only be possible if it was on a 12-gauge frame, and even if you could do that, it would be very expensive. If you had a 12-gauge, you might be able to get Briley to make you some 16-gauge tubes, then all you need to do is put them in the barrels (skeet and sporting clays shooters use them to shoot the sub-gauge events with the same gun as they do in the main event) and you now have a 16. However, I don't think I've ever seen a tube set made for a 16, they're usually only in 20, 28, and .410 bores, but you might luck out there. After looking at Briley, you could also check out Chamber Mates.

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd prefer a Franchi or Beretta. I don't
really like Brownings. stir I suppose
I could wait and look for a used Rizzini?

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don,

Luckily, I'm not as picky. I've had most of them from Brownings and Berettas to Kreighoffs and Kolars, I like them all! Why don't you just start looking online at places like GunsAmerica and GunsInternational.com and that'll probably give you the best idea of what you will find. There's something out there for you, no doubt!

I heal fast and don't scar.

Posts: 433 | Location: Monessen, PA | Registered: 23 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Justin. I'm working on it as you suggested. Big Grin