THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Re: Side by side reccomendation.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Side by side reccomendation.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
PS:

I know you said sxs but I'd try to find and shoot or handle a Browning Superposed in 20 with features that please you. They were THE O/U for 50 years (not counting Boss and other incredibly expensive guns) and they have somewhat fallen out of favor. They are still exceptional guns and you should be able to find one in your budgetary range. Just a thought.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They would be stretching your price range, but you MIGHT, with careful shopping and patience find a Parker Repro that will fit your budget. Superb guns for the money.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No offense intended and the Berettas that you have are good guns, my neighbour is trying to sell me a 627EL which is a grade higher than yours;BUT, the Beretta 470 is nowhere near the gun in terms of fit and finish that the BSS is.

One of the local dealers is from Italy, has family there and shoots Bernadelli sxs guns and Beretta o/us. Another dealer here is also from Italy and hunts with my next-door neighbour; I have been in his stock room many times handling the multi-buck Fabbris, Piottis and Rizzini R1 guns he sells, BOTH of these guys have tried to purchase my BSS-Sidelock, but, their offers were in the $4000.00 range which is less than the gun is worth. Again, both of them hold the Miroku Brownings in high regard.

I would not buy a Beretta, other than a custom sidelock, such as an SO series or a 451-which are not made by Beretta-that was made in the last ten years, the fit and finish are just terrible. I invite you to examine, for example, the bottom plate on a 470 Silver Hawk, they are as poorly fitted as the Winchester Model 21s.

I have compared my Browning Citori type III combo gun to quite a number of big name European, British and American guns; the fit and finish equals or exceeds almost all of them-if, it didn't, I would buy something else. I have owned a Superposed, a '50s vintage gun, the Citori is a superior design. One of the gunsmiths who has done work for me regularly converts BSS boxlocks into double rifles, something not easily accomplished with most sxs guns. I have handled one such gun built by Westley Richards and done in the 1980s, I doubt that they would use an inferior product.

I would be interested in knowing exactly what features of the Beretta guns you consider superior to a Citori, I do not think there are any, quite honestly. I do agree, very strongly with the gentlman who recommended the Parker repro, that is a superb gun and under-priced in today's market.

Posts: 1379 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Beretta 426E's that I purchased while I was stationed in Italy in the Army. I got a matched pair in 12 ga. and 20 ga. (fitted at the factory) with splinter forends and straight stocks, with double triggers. These were their next-to-best grade of box-lock doubles. They are fine shotguns that I really enjoy. I would recommend that you look at the Beretta's. You can get a current Model 470 SxS for about $2,600-2,700. I also had a pair of S57E box-lock over-under's made. I definitely enjoy the SxS shotguns better for hunting. The Berettas are a little more than a Citori or other shotgun, but I feel they are definitely better quality and worth the additional cost. Berettas are generally light and strong. In some guns, especially the over-unders, they are a little too light. In the SxS I feel the balance of weight and strength is optimum. Have fun looking for the right side-by-side.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you do find a 20ga sxs you like , I would advise getting a 28" barrel. I always liked short barrels(26") but found out I couldnt hit anything with them. They are to "wippy". A 28" in a light 20 ga sxs just swings better.

I have a old 1940s stevens 20 ga 28" and I shoot it very will and hit fast moveing close range quail with ease. Its a inexpensive grade gun .

Ive reserched quite abit on sxs under $2500. I like the straight grip and splinter forend. My choices would be AYA, Ugertachea,Beretta,JP sauer. These are ones Ive found real good deals on. If I had a tone of money laying around Id be looking at Merkels etc.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cowboy77845
posted Hide Post
I have both a Beretta Silver Hawk and a Winchester 23. The 23 fits me better and seems to point better. If I buy another it will be a 23. Be sure you try the guns before you choose. They both have straight grip stocks. You may prefer pistol grip stocks. Look at the Parker reproductions. Some are coming out of the woodwork now and some are under 3K. Used doubles in "as new" shape are not cheap. Even the Browing BSS is up over 1500 in many cases. Seems they are being rediscovered. I called Dave Dawson in Houston when I was looking for a 23. He says old guys (over 50) are looking for nice doubles and he has a nice selection of 23's.

Posts: 375 | Location: College Station, Tx | Registered: 11 February 2005Reply With Quote