THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SHOTGUN FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Other Topics  Hop To Forums  Shotgunning    Which shotgun for sporting clays?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which shotgun for sporting clays?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am going to get into this sport and would like experienced opinions on the best shotgun for it.

Thanks in advance.

posted Hide Post
You are going to love the Sporting Clays. Man what a great time!
The only thing you really need is a gun that is capable of fireing two rounds. Any auto loader or over and under is fine. A pump gun works, but on a true double it is a little hard to get that second round off.
A lot of the shooters really like long barrels for Spoting Clays, and I like a 30 incher myself. It is just that extra weight that makes the swing of the gun much smoother.
Also, you will want removeable chokes. You will see birds from close in to long ranges, and with an over and under you can set up a barrel for the close in and the other for that long shot. The extended choke tubes are a lot easier to change on the spot.
And 12 gauge is the norm. More shot!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an auto or O/U . Get a gun that fits you well.Decide whether you want SC as practice for hunting [ as I do] or you want to 'play the game'.My guns are for everything ,geese, squirrels,SC etc.For just SC there is a tendency to get specialized guns usually longer barrels and other features.

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
If you haven't been hanging around a skeet range and talking to the regular shooters, then you should probably start with that. My personal opinion is that you should buy:

1) an over and under shotgun in 12 gauge with 28" or 30 " barrels.

2) The barrels should be proofed for steel shot in the event you decide you want to hunt with it and the jurisdiction doesn't allow lead shot.

3) identify a shotgun "fitter" before you make your purchase. If you buy from a gunshop that has a qualified fitter than normally the modifications/fitting can be included in the purchase price.

4) fit is the most element in a sporting shotgun

5) If the shotgun you choose has interchangeable chokes then no problem. If you want a fixed chokes model, choose one barrel in cylinder improved and one in modified improved, rather than modified/full.

6) I think it's hard to go wrong with a Browning (maybe a B525) or a Beretta, with the above provisos.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you. That will get me started.