New
Find
Notify
Tools

Model 12 winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know what the average field grade model 12 (pre 64)in 16 gauge is valued at, at 75% condition.
No vent rib. Not stainless steel, or nickel steel. Someone at work is selling one, and i'm not sure what it's worth?
thanks
Mike73

one of us
posted Hide Post
$250 to $350 depending on how badly someone wants it or wants to sell it. To check for wear, be sure gun is unloaded and press upward on closed and locked up bolt through the loading gate. There will almost certainly be some movement of bolt, but if it moves quite a bit it means the gun has been used a lot or hard. Not impossible to fix, but not cheap. The smiths who can really do good work on 12s are becoming fewer and fewer. Also check for chamber length, I'm not sure but think some of the early ones had 2 9/16 chambers. Just for informations sake, some early ones had damascus barrels but they are fairly rare.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

NEVER, EVER book a hunt with BLAIR WORLDWIDE HUNTING or JEFF BLAIR.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

Posts: 17099 | Location: Texas USA | Registered: 07 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should add, in our area. Apparently there is a fairly wide variation in values of 12s due to geography.

xxxxxxxxxx
When considering US based operations of guides/outfitters, check and see if they are NRA members. If not, why support someone who doesn't support us? Consider spending your money elsewhere.

I have come to understand that in hunting, the goal is not the goal but the process.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gatogordo. I will utilize that advice while checking it over. I had a preliminary conversation with him today, and he seemed to think it was worth soewhere between 800 and 1000 dollars. Not sure how to burst his bubble, and still make a deal with him. I've seen some higher grade specimens that were pretty that went for a good price, but this particular one is just a used, run of the mill shotgun.
We'll see how it plays out tomorrow.
Mike73

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Several here to look at and compare/show your friend
http://www.collectorsfirearms....atID=14&subcatID=184

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Be advised that the source referenced above is asking the absolute top of the market retail prices, it is easy to find any of the common guns they've listed for less on gunbroker or at gun shows. However, they do have a large selection and show the range of prices, just at the top end for each item IMO. And, of course, condition, in guns, coins, or almost anything else plays a big roll. A 75% gun is not worth nearly what a 95% gun is worth. It sounds to me like you're not going to buy it from your friend. Don't think you've missed anything, if you want one, there are plenty of them around. Few modern shooters recognize the quality and pointability of the Model 12s, they are fine guns.

xxxxxxxxxx

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Afternoon guys,
yes, unfortunately he believes he has a goldmine, and 350.00 was an insult. Oh well.
I was going to pick it up for my son as a christmas present. Guess my boy will have to keep putting miles on my sweet 16 for now....LOL!!!
Thanks for the info guys,
Mike73

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

Don't worry about it. If your condition description was on the money, I really don't think it is worth $350. Here's one on GB (not mine, nor do I have any knowledge of the seller) that you can probably buy for $350 plus shipping and FFL fees which looks like a pretty nice gun.......
Winchester 12 16 ga

There's another one on there that might even go cheaper but it has a reserved price and the current bid is like $160, reserve not met, so I don't know if the guy is reasonable on his reserve or not. Here's that one, it looks a little rough to me, personally I wouldn't bid more than $250 for it, but that might buy it.....

rougher reserved M12 16

xxxxxxxxxx

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Mike: Agree your coworker is full of prunes. I got a nice one made in 1925 for $350 shipped to me.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16433 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys, i'm definately alot more educated in model 12's.
To me, they're just a neat piece of american history. I'll get one, one of these days.
Mike73

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gatogordo is exactly correct about Collectors. Somedays, in person anyhow, bargains, someday high as can be.
I posted this shop just for info. purposes.

I've got a 2 model 12s, a 20 that was by grandfathers and a 16 that I bought. Feels like it was made for me.

With practice, Model 12 can be shot faster than some semi-autos! BOOM BOOM BOOM (just like on the Benelli duck commander commercial LOL)

Robert

If we can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people, under the pretense of taking care of them, they must become happy. Thomas Jefferson, 1802

Posts: 1207 | Location: Tomball or Rocksprings with Namibia on my mind! | Registered: 29 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
I have a number of M-12's in both 20 and 16 and can't seem to pass up looking at them when they come up for sale. I even had two SR model 12's built up in pre-war English style and prefer them to most of my nice English doubles.
Like Bill said, a good, clean, usable 16 should not cost much more than $300-350. I might even find one I would part with for that. Expecially for a boy's Christmas present.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4198 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 22Rimfire
posted Hide Post
I got my 1935 16ga for $300 great gun just shows lots of use. I would not go much higher also prior to around 1925 they were 2-9/16" chamber.
JM2CW

Ignore your rights and they will go away!

Posts: 149 | Location: Talkeetna Alaska | Registered: 13 September 2006Reply With Quote